Vivienne Westwood searches for young climate change poets to perform at Keats House
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
She is a doyenne of punk and a worldwide fashion icon, known for her activism, outrageous style, and beautifully tailored clothes.
But now Vivienne Westwood is hoping to inspire the next generation of radical young poets to raise awareness of climate change and the environment – in a project culminating in a performance for celebrities and VIPs at Keats House in Hampstead.
The British fashion designer, who pioneered the iconic punk style of the 1970s, will work with young people to create a poetry collection.
She has joined forces with youth charity, YOUYOU Mentoring, to set up the project, which will offer five London poets aged 17 to 21 the chance to take part in master classes led by contemporary poets and special guests.
Dame Vivienne, who has dressed supermodels including Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss, said: “I’m delighted to be supporting YOUYOU Mentoring and opportunities for young creatives, because the world needs poets.”
You may also want to watch:
Any aspiring poet aged 17 to 21 and living in London is welcome to apply and the selected writers will record their poem and take part in a portrait shoot.
To apply visit youyoumentoring.org.uk or climaterevolution.org.uk before June 24.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 10 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
The creative process will also be documented on film, culminating in a poetry performance hosted by Dame Vivienne at Keats House in Keats Grove.
Brenda Ramsey, founder of YOUYOU Mentoring said: “The collaborative project with Dame Vivienne is a fantastic opportunity for young poets to learn from one of the world’s most creative and truly original artists.
“This will give them a much-needed springboard to promote their talent at an early stage in their careers.”
The Climate Revolution, founded by Dame Vivienne last year, encourages people to take action on climate change by doing simple things in their daily lives - such as signing a petition to save the Arctic and rainforests or limiting consumption.
Known for her work on social and environmental causes, Dame Vivienne is an ambassador for Greenpeace and has worked with the United Nations to re-establish rainforests in Europe.