#StudentTakeover: City of Westminster College student wins Ham&High internship
- Credit: Archant
Our Student Takeover 2018 drew to a close on Friday with an awards ceremony, but the story is not over for one budding journalist.
This month saw 11 students from the City of Westminster College and the College of North West London, which formally merged last year, produce 25 stories in print and online at the Ham&High with a variety of interviews, features and columns.
The students were reunited at the college’s Paddington Green campus last week as City of Westminster College’s Carrie-Jayne Crawshaw was chosen as the winner of the takeover competition.
In a ceremony attended by friends, family, members of the Archant team and college representatives, Carrie-Jayne was awarded with a 10-week paid internship at the Ham&High, which will start during the summer holidays.
Despite stiff competition from a talented crop of students, Carrie-Jayne impressed the panel of judges at the Ham&High with her initiative, enthusiasm and work ethic.
You may also want to watch:
Carrie-Jayne’s reporting on science week saw her pull together a feature on UCL Academy’s STEM fair, bag an interview with one of the school’s governors and a top scientist and find an off-diary story by covering an event at the Freud Museum over the weekend.
“The experience was great,” Carrie-Jayne said. “I didn’t think it would be as fun as it was.
- 1 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 2 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 3 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 4 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 5 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 8 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 9 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 10 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
“To be honest I didn’t expect to get as far as I did and to win is amazing.
“I can’t wait to return for the internship.”
All students were awarded with a certificate for their hard work, and were given the opportunity to watch a series of films documenting the takeover in the college theatre.
“Carrie-Jayne has worked extremely hard and produced outstanding work,” a college spokesman said.
“We would like to congratulate the students who took part in the take over week – Jessiara Marriott, Joshua Okakpu and Carrie-Jayne from the City of Westminster College and Valentina Romagnoli, Corey Golzey, Filimon Okbay, Kadeeja Warsame, Jamie Jones, Tadhg Ormond, Jamal Jadunandan and Paulina Mazulyte from the College of North West London.”
For more visit archantstudenttakeover.co.uk.