St Mark’s Square nursery school celebrates 30th birthday days after head gets OBE
- Credit: Archant
A nursery school, favoured by parents including Kate Winslet and Noel Gallagher, celebrated its 30th birthday on Sunday just days after its pioneering founder and headteacher received an OBE.
Actor and comedian Stephen Mangan congratulated headteacher Sheema Parsons as a crowd of 250 attended the garden party to celebrate the anniversary of St Mark’s Square nursery school in St Mark’s Square, Primrose Hill.
Mrs Parsons opened the school, which is in the basement of St Mark’s Church, in 1983 with her late husband Bruce to promote individuality in children.
It was one of the first schools to offer martial arts and yoga and she is praised for her holistic approach to education.
She said: “Champagne was flowing and there were games for children in the garden with a wishing well tree designed by parents, so the children could stick their wishes on the tree.
You may also want to watch:
“There were people there who were children on the first day I opened. Not many nursery schools have children coming back. It was absolutely wonderful.”
- 1 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 2 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 3 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 4 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 5 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 6 Mayor of Camden joins West Hampstead Primary School renaming fair
- 7 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 8 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 9 West Hampstead community backs Nazanin 2,000 days since imprisonment
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago