St Mark’s Square nursery school celebrates 30th birthday days after head gets OBE
- Credit: Archant
A nursery school, favoured by parents including Kate Winslet and Noel Gallagher, celebrated its 30th birthday on Sunday just days after its pioneering founder and headteacher received an OBE.
Actor and comedian Stephen Mangan congratulated headteacher Sheema Parsons as a crowd of 250 attended the garden party to celebrate the anniversary of St Mark’s Square nursery school in St Mark’s Square, Primrose Hill.
Mrs Parsons opened the school, which is in the basement of St Mark’s Church, in 1983 with her late husband Bruce to promote individuality in children.
It was one of the first schools to offer martial arts and yoga and she is praised for her holistic approach to education.
She said: “Champagne was flowing and there were games for children in the garden with a wishing well tree designed by parents, so the children could stick their wishes on the tree.
You may also want to watch:
“There were people there who were children on the first day I opened. Not many nursery schools have children coming back. It was absolutely wonderful.”
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 3 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 8 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points