Renowned pianist gives William Ellis School pupils a musical masterclass
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
An internationally-renowned classical pianist treated aspiring young musicians to a masterclass and recital last week.
Leeds International Piano Competition finalist Jayson Gillham held two workshops with youngsters and advanced solo pianists from three local schools.
He then performed a special recital for pupils, parents and teachers at William Ellis School in Highgate Road, near Parliament Hill Fields, on Thursday.
Student performers from La Sainte Union, Parliament Hill and William Ellis schools applied what they learned in the masterclasses by performing pieces for Mr Gillham at the evening concert.
The show culminated with Mr Gillham playing a classical repertoire of Scarlatti, Chopin and Debussy on the school’s Steinway grand piano.
You may also want to watch:
Head of music Guy Forbat said: “Students benefited from seeing a world class musician up close, as there’s no substitute for a live concert.”
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 7 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again