Renowned pianist gives William Ellis School pupils a musical masterclass
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
An internationally-renowned classical pianist treated aspiring young musicians to a masterclass and recital last week.
Leeds International Piano Competition finalist Jayson Gillham held two workshops with youngsters and advanced solo pianists from three local schools.
He then performed a special recital for pupils, parents and teachers at William Ellis School in Highgate Road, near Parliament Hill Fields, on Thursday.
Student performers from La Sainte Union, Parliament Hill and William Ellis schools applied what they learned in the masterclasses by performing pieces for Mr Gillham at the evening concert.
The show culminated with Mr Gillham playing a classical repertoire of Scarlatti, Chopin and Debussy on the school’s Steinway grand piano.
You may also want to watch:
Head of music Guy Forbat said: “Students benefited from seeing a world class musician up close, as there’s no substitute for a live concert.”
- 1 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 2 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 5 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 6 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 7 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 8 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 10 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release