Renowned pianist gives William Ellis School pupils a musical masterclass
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
An internationally-renowned classical pianist treated aspiring young musicians to a masterclass and recital last week.
Leeds International Piano Competition finalist Jayson Gillham held two workshops with youngsters and advanced solo pianists from three local schools.
He then performed a special recital for pupils, parents and teachers at William Ellis School in Highgate Road, near Parliament Hill Fields, on Thursday.
Student performers from La Sainte Union, Parliament Hill and William Ellis schools applied what they learned in the masterclasses by performing pieces for Mr Gillham at the evening concert.
The show culminated with Mr Gillham playing a classical repertoire of Scarlatti, Chopin and Debussy on the school’s Steinway grand piano.
You may also want to watch:
Head of music Guy Forbat said: “Students benefited from seeing a world class musician up close, as there’s no substitute for a live concert.”
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 3 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 8 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'