Record number at Camden School for Girls celebrate top GCSE grades
- Credit: Archant
A record number of girls at a state school in Camden have celebrated being awarded all A*s or As in their GCSEs.
Camden School for Girls, a comprehensive in Camden Town, saw 19 of its pupils achieved a clean sweep of the top grades this morning.
Headteacher Elizabeth Kitcatt said: “It was a very hard working year, with very ambitious and committed pupils. We are really pleased.”
Rachael Allen, head girl at the school, celebrated an astonishing 10 A*s and one A when collecting her results this morning.
Emerging from the school hall with tears of joy running down her cheeks, the 16-year-old said: “I am so happy, I wasn’t expecting this result at all, especially in my French.
“We all did a lot of hard work. I’m going on to do history, geography, English and maths at A-level, hopefully to go on and do something like geography at university. I’m overjoyed.”
Nationally, the proportion of GCSEs awarded at least a C grade rose again this year, but top grades have fallen for the fourth year in a row.
- 1 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 2 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 3 Positives for Arsenal despite missing top four
- 4 Parliament Hill flower shop comes to pupils' rescue
- 5 Camden teacher's cycle ride to find a cure for daughter's 'sleeping beauty' syndrome
- 6 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 7 Harry Hill's Tony Blair rock opera premieres at Park Theatre
- 8 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 9 Nazanin was 'forced' to sign false confession by Iran
- 10 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
In total, almost seven in 10 (69%) entries were awarded A*-C, up 0.2 percentage points on 2014.
But there was a 0.1 percentage point drop in A* grades - the fourth year running that there has been a fall - with 6.6% of entries given the highest mark this year.
The rest of Camden School fo Girls GCSE grades are:
Percentage of A* - A grades 2015: 43%
Percentage of 5 A* - C grades including maths and English 2015: 78%
Percentage of pupils achieving E-Bacc 2015: 53%
Percentage of A* - A grades 2014 (verified): 43%
Percentage of 5 A* - C grades including maths and English 2014 (verified): 76%
Percentage of pupils achieving E-Bacc 2014 (verified): 50%