Record number at Camden School for Girls celebrate top GCSE grades
- Credit: Archant
A record number of girls at a state school in Camden have celebrated being awarded all A*s or As in their GCSEs.
Camden School for Girls, a comprehensive in Camden Town, saw 19 of its pupils achieved a clean sweep of the top grades this morning.
Headteacher Elizabeth Kitcatt said: “It was a very hard working year, with very ambitious and committed pupils. We are really pleased.”
Rachael Allen, head girl at the school, celebrated an astonishing 10 A*s and one A when collecting her results this morning.
Emerging from the school hall with tears of joy running down her cheeks, the 16-year-old said: “I am so happy, I wasn’t expecting this result at all, especially in my French.
You may also want to watch:
“We all did a lot of hard work. I’m going on to do history, geography, English and maths at A-level, hopefully to go on and do something like geography at university. I’m overjoyed.”
Nationally, the proportion of GCSEs awarded at least a C grade rose again this year, but top grades have fallen for the fourth year in a row.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 6 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 7 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 8 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 9 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 10 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
In total, almost seven in 10 (69%) entries were awarded A*-C, up 0.2 percentage points on 2014.
But there was a 0.1 percentage point drop in A* grades - the fourth year running that there has been a fall - with 6.6% of entries given the highest mark this year.
The rest of Camden School fo Girls GCSE grades are:
Percentage of A* - A grades 2015: 43%
Percentage of 5 A* - C grades including maths and English 2015: 78%
Percentage of pupils achieving E-Bacc 2015: 53%
Percentage of A* - A grades 2014 (verified): 43%
Percentage of 5 A* - C grades including maths and English 2014 (verified): 76%
Percentage of pupils achieving E-Bacc 2014 (verified): 50%