Record number at Camden School for Girls celebrate top GCSE grades
- Credit: Archant
A record number of girls at a state school in Camden have celebrated being awarded all A*s or As in their GCSEs.
Camden School for Girls, a comprehensive in Camden Town, saw 19 of its pupils achieved a clean sweep of the top grades this morning.
Headteacher Elizabeth Kitcatt said: “It was a very hard working year, with very ambitious and committed pupils. We are really pleased.”
Rachael Allen, head girl at the school, celebrated an astonishing 10 A*s and one A when collecting her results this morning.
Emerging from the school hall with tears of joy running down her cheeks, the 16-year-old said: “I am so happy, I wasn’t expecting this result at all, especially in my French.
You may also want to watch:
“We all did a lot of hard work. I’m going on to do history, geography, English and maths at A-level, hopefully to go on and do something like geography at university. I’m overjoyed.”
Nationally, the proportion of GCSEs awarded at least a C grade rose again this year, but top grades have fallen for the fourth year in a row.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 9 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
In total, almost seven in 10 (69%) entries were awarded A*-C, up 0.2 percentage points on 2014.
But there was a 0.1 percentage point drop in A* grades - the fourth year running that there has been a fall - with 6.6% of entries given the highest mark this year.
The rest of Camden School fo Girls GCSE grades are:
Percentage of A* - A grades 2015: 43%
Percentage of 5 A* - C grades including maths and English 2015: 78%
Percentage of pupils achieving E-Bacc 2015: 53%
Percentage of A* - A grades 2014 (verified): 43%
Percentage of 5 A* - C grades including maths and English 2014 (verified): 76%
Percentage of pupils achieving E-Bacc 2014 (verified): 50%