Paralympic champion Tanni Grey-Thompson opens East Finchley school’s new campus
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A free school’s £14million new campus has been officially opened by Paralympic champion Lady Tanni Grey-Thompson.
The Archer Academy, which opened two years ago, held a ceremony yesterday to show off the Stanley Road campus in Egans Close, East Finchley.
The state-of-the-art building is currently home to the school’s 450 pupils, but from next year it will act as a lower school for youngsters in Years 7, 8 and 9.
Years 10 and 11 will move back into the school’s original premises in the old Hampstead Garden Suburb Institute building in Beaumont Close from September 2017.
But pupils of all ages will play sport and have PE lessons at the Stanley Road complex, which is built on the former site of the Stanley Road Playing Fields.
Baroness Grey-Thompson won 11 gold medals over the course of her athletic career, and now has a seat in the House of Lords.
Headteacher Lucy Harrison said: “We were honoured to welcome Paralympian Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson to the Archer Academy yesterday and officially open our new Stanley Road campus. Tanni spoke with great enthusiasm about her sporting career in our whole school assembly and the students were captivated by her stories.
- 1 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 2 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 3 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 4 'London is lagging behind – protect yourself and others from Covid'
- 5 Crowdfunder launched to buy Mortimer Terrace Nature Reserve
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Muswell Hill constituency changes consultation
- 7 Matt Lucas backs school's drive to build arts studio
- 8 NLWA signs contract for ‘significant’ Edmonton Incinerator project
- 9 Muswell Hill service ‘disgraceful’ as Royal Mail crisis continues
- 10 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
“Tanni remarked that our pupils questions were particularly challenging and joked she had been asked easier questions by Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight in the past.”