New free school the Archer Academy to open in East Finchley arts centre
A new free school for Hampstead Garden Suburb children will share a building with an East Finchley arts centre when it opens next year.
The Archer Academy has announced it is in the process of purchasing the Hampstead Garden Suburb Institute (HGSI) building, in High Road, East Finchley.
Under the plans, the Institute is set to become the school’s tenant and architects are currently looking at housing Archer Academy pupils and the Institute’s students in separate sections of the building from September.
The deal brings an end to the school’s search for a venue and provides a lifeline to the Institute, which faced having to leave the building due to financial difficulties.
Greville Waterman, chairman of the HGSI’s council, said: “I am proud to have ensured the survival of the Hampstead Garden Suburb Institute.”
You may also want to watch:
Avis Johns, chairwoman of governors at the Archer Academy, said: “We want the very best for our pupils, and this agreement will provide them with a superb base from which to start their secondary education.”
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 3 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 4 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 5 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 8 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 9 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 10 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101