New free school the Archer Academy to open in East Finchley arts centre
A new free school for Hampstead Garden Suburb children will share a building with an East Finchley arts centre when it opens next year.
The Archer Academy has announced it is in the process of purchasing the Hampstead Garden Suburb Institute (HGSI) building, in High Road, East Finchley.
Under the plans, the Institute is set to become the school’s tenant and architects are currently looking at housing Archer Academy pupils and the Institute’s students in separate sections of the building from September.
The deal brings an end to the school’s search for a venue and provides a lifeline to the Institute, which faced having to leave the building due to financial difficulties.
Greville Waterman, chairman of the HGSI’s council, said: “I am proud to have ensured the survival of the Hampstead Garden Suburb Institute.”
You may also want to watch:
Avis Johns, chairwoman of governors at the Archer Academy, said: “We want the very best for our pupils, and this agreement will provide them with a superb base from which to start their secondary education.”
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 3 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 8 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'