New free school the Archer Academy to open in East Finchley arts centre
A new free school for Hampstead Garden Suburb children will share a building with an East Finchley arts centre when it opens next year.
The Archer Academy has announced it is in the process of purchasing the Hampstead Garden Suburb Institute (HGSI) building, in High Road, East Finchley.
Under the plans, the Institute is set to become the school’s tenant and architects are currently looking at housing Archer Academy pupils and the Institute’s students in separate sections of the building from September.
The deal brings an end to the school’s search for a venue and provides a lifeline to the Institute, which faced having to leave the building due to financial difficulties.
Greville Waterman, chairman of the HGSI’s council, said: “I am proud to have ensured the survival of the Hampstead Garden Suburb Institute.”
You may also want to watch:
Avis Johns, chairwoman of governors at the Archer Academy, said: “We want the very best for our pupils, and this agreement will provide them with a superb base from which to start their secondary education.”
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 3 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 4 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 5 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 6 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 7 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 8 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
- 9 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds