Michael Palin to perform intimate gig at Camden school ahead of Monty Python comeback
- Credit: Archant
Such was the phenomenal demand for Monty Python’s O2 comeback gig this summer that tickets sold out in just 43.5 seconds.
Now, in a rather more intimate Camden show, much-loved Python star Michael Palin will perform for just 200 people – a hundredth of the capacity of the huge O2 Arena crowd – in advance of the forthcoming reunion.
The venue is Carlton Primary School, Gospel Oak, which Mr Palin has been a patron of for a decade, and the talk will raise money to build a multi-sensory garden at the school.
The evening is likely to provide a fascinating insight for Python fans, as the renowned travel journalist has promised to speak about the build-up to the hotly anticipated O2 shows when all the surviving Pythons will perform together for the first time in 40 years.
Organisers from the school’s Parent Teacher Association (PTA) also hope there will be a run on sales – as ticket holders will have the rare opportunity to socialise with Mr Palin over a buffet meal after the talk on Friday, May 9.
You may also want to watch:
The star, who lives in Gospel Oak, said: “I’m a great supporter of Carlton School. The staff work so hard, and the school always looks bright and inviting. I love talking to the children there.
“They have great energy and curiosity and they come from such a range of countries that I always find there’s something I learn from them.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 10 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
“With the World Cup only a month away I’ll be telling inside stories from my recent TV journeys to Brazil, and with the Monty Python Reunion at the O2 only a month away from rehearsal I’ll be remembering Python and Ripping Yarns and lots more comedy.”
The 70-year-old has thrown his support behind the school’s plans for a multi-sensory garden where children will be able to learn, play and find out about the natural world.
But the PTA is only half way towards reaching its £40,000 target to complete the project.
Mum Noella Bello Castro, 34, a parent governor and one of the organisers of the talk, said: “Carlton is a very inclusive school. There are kids from all sorts of backgrounds with different levels of need and a lot of them come from the local area and don’t have much outside space, so the sensory garden is going to provide an environment where the kids will be able to learn outside.
“The PTA have been working really hard to fundraise over the last few years and we’ve had loads of positive input from local businesses and members of the community, so to have Michael involved in fundraising is a dream come true. It’s an incredibly exciting thing to add to our fundraising efforts.”
Monika Rego, co-chairman of Parents at Carlton, added: “We are grateful to Michael for giving up his time and giving us a fantastic opportunity to raise money for the school.”
* An Evening With Michael Palin takes place at Carlton Primary School, Grafton Road, on Friday, May 9. Doors open at 6.30pm and tickets cost £30 plus booking fee. For booking information, visit wegottickets.com/event/266359.