Marylebone bright spark wins national poster competition
- Credit: Archant
A Marylebone school pupil who sparked the imagination of judges has won the top prize in a national design competition.
Zara Miah, six, went head-to-head with thousands of children across the UK in a poster competition run by the charitable Electrical Safety Council (ESC).
The pupil at Christ Church Bentinck primary school, in Cosway Street, won £500 for her school and £100 for herself. She was presented with her prize by Phil Buckle, director general of the ESC, and firefighters at her school assembly on Friday.
Zara’s design for a poster on the dos and don’ts of electrical safety in the home beat more than 3,000 other entries to the prize because of its creativity, appeal to children, and impact of its safety messages.
It will be used on the ESC’s new electrical home safety checklist leaflet, which will be given to schools across the UK in the next few months.
You may also want to watch:
Sandra Tyrell, head teacher at Christ Church Bentinck primary, said: “Taking part in the Electrical Safety Council competition helped children to learn about electrical safety and the risks around electricity in the home. The poster competition enabled the children to display what they had learned, in a fun and creative way.”
Mr Buckle added: “We are pleased so many children entered our competition. It’s a fun way to get across our simple but important messages around electrical safety.”
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 6 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 9 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
- 10 Home of the Week: Refurbished three storey, five bedroom family home for sale in Finchley