Lady of Muswell Catholic Primary School students discuss Britain’s treatment of refugees
- Credit: Archant
Welcome, hope and tolerance have been the three key messages for students learning about refugees.
As part of Our Lady of Muswell Catholic Primary School’s welcome week, Refugee Council chief executive Maurice Wren spoke on a range of topics including people smuggling and Britain’s history of helping refugees.
Mr Wren, who also spoke to Year 6 pupils about the media’s portrayal of refugees, said: “It was a pleasure to speak to these incredibly well informed pupils.
“Their questions showed their knowledge of refugees and the issues facing them.”
Each child at the Pages Lane school has written a message of hope on a piece of paper that has been transformed into an origami boat. The boats will be delivered – by charity the Children’s Society – to refugee and migrant families across London who will be able to read the messages of welcome when the boats are unwrapped.
You may also want to watch:
They have also written messages of hope to be placed on a Lampedusa cross, which is made from the driftwood of refugee boats crossing the Mediterranean.
Headteacher Angela McNicholas said: “Our children have really taken to heart the three key messages of welcome week – welcome, hope and tolerance. I am immensely proud of them.”
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 8 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points