Kingsgate Primary School expansion lauded despite “teething problems” over travel arrangements
- Credit: Archant
A school expansion has been lauded by Camden Council, despite “teething problems” over travel arrangements around the site.
The council has expanded Kingsgate Primary School to create up to 420 new school places at a new site on Liddell Road, now known as Liddell Place, as part of its Community Investment Programme (CIP).
West Hampstead Cllr Phil Rosenberg has described the new school building as a “fantastic educational premises”, but stressed that the new site does not have the capacity for children to come by car, and that they should use the transport network or walk, in order “to be considerate to the school’s new neighbours”.
He said: “I understand from residents that there have been teething problems in terms of the transport arrangements.
“I have raised this with the relevant cabinet members and I hope that this will be sorted with all due haste.
“For years, there have been shortages of school places in the northwest of the borough. Through Camden Labour’s determination and creativity we now have this fantastic new resource which officer reports show will give our area a surplus of school places for the foreseeable future. This is a fantastic achievement in very difficult times.
Also championing the development was Cllr Angela Mason, the council’s cabinet member for children, who was given a tour of the new classrooms and facilities earlier this week.
- 1 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 2 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 3 Parliament Hill flower shop comes to pupils' rescue
- 4 Positives for Arsenal despite missing top four
- 5 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 6 Camden teacher's cycle ride to find a cure for daughter's 'sleeping beauty' syndrome
- 7 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 8 Harry Hill's Tony Blair rock opera premieres at Park Theatre
- 9 Nazanin was 'forced' to sign false confession by Iran
- 10 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
She said: “An enthusiastic parent I spoke to described the brand new building at Kingsgate School as ‘like a children’s palace’, and there’s no doubt the new building gives wonderful spaces for children to learn.
“Kingsgate is an outstanding school with a great head and wonderful teachers. Now children will also have the benefit of light modern classrooms and a fantastic new playground.”
Overall the council has pledged to deliver 3,050 new homes across the borough, including 1,400 affordable homes, and to invest
£117million into schools and children’s centres and provide 9,000 square metres of improved community facilities – the equivalent of 35 tennis courts.
What do you think about the new school building? E-mail education editor James Scott (email@example.com).