King Alfred School pupils donate food and gifts to help deprived children this Christmas
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Pupils donated hampers full of festive food and gifts for disadvantaged children who would not otherwise enjoy a Christmas lunch or receive any presents.
Generous teenagers at King Alfred School (KAS), in North End Road, Golders Green, who are all undertaking The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (DofE), spent the term gathering up the goods before packing them into Christmas parcels last week.
They will be distributed to needy children in north London as part of a Christmas appeal run by the Alexandra Wylie Tower Foundation.
The foundation was set up in memory of Alexandra Wylie, a pupil of Channing School, in The Bank, Highgate, who died of cancer aged 17 in 2010. It works with the charity Kids Company to help deprived youngsters.
Alexandra’s mum Lindsey Wylie said: “We have been totally overwhelmed by the support from KAS. They have responded so generously and sensitively to our Christmas appeal.
You may also want to watch:
“I found a real sense of community in the school with people not only being horrified to learn of the deprivation on our doorstep, but determined to make a difference in any way they could.”
Don Ewing, who runs the DofE programme at KAS, said: “The pupils were shocked to find that there were children living down the road who would not be having a Christmas lunch or getting presents.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 6 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 7 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
“They were very keen to help in any way they could and have done a great job at mobilising the whole school.”
Anyone wanting to contribute can drop off non-perishable items or gifts at Spotless Organic, The Old Garage, Sunnyside Road, Archway. See www.awtf.org for more information.