King Alfred School pupils donate food and gifts to help deprived children this Christmas
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Pupils donated hampers full of festive food and gifts for disadvantaged children who would not otherwise enjoy a Christmas lunch or receive any presents.
Generous teenagers at King Alfred School (KAS), in North End Road, Golders Green, who are all undertaking The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (DofE), spent the term gathering up the goods before packing them into Christmas parcels last week.
They will be distributed to needy children in north London as part of a Christmas appeal run by the Alexandra Wylie Tower Foundation.
The foundation was set up in memory of Alexandra Wylie, a pupil of Channing School, in The Bank, Highgate, who died of cancer aged 17 in 2010. It works with the charity Kids Company to help deprived youngsters.
Alexandra’s mum Lindsey Wylie said: “We have been totally overwhelmed by the support from KAS. They have responded so generously and sensitively to our Christmas appeal.
You may also want to watch:
“I found a real sense of community in the school with people not only being horrified to learn of the deprivation on our doorstep, but determined to make a difference in any way they could.”
Don Ewing, who runs the DofE programme at KAS, said: “The pupils were shocked to find that there were children living down the road who would not be having a Christmas lunch or getting presents.
- 1 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 2 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 3 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 6 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 7 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 8 Five things we learned from Arsenal's Europa League exit
- 9 Seven things to do in Hampstead and Highgate after May 17
- 10 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
“They were very keen to help in any way they could and have done a great job at mobilising the whole school.”
Anyone wanting to contribute can drop off non-perishable items or gifts at Spotless Organic, The Old Garage, Sunnyside Road, Archway. See www.awtf.org for more information.