It’s election day at Eleanor Palmer School to vote on... well, the new floor
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Democracy was alive and well at a Camden primary school as pupils took to the ballot box to decide on a flooring design for their new junior block.
The new term got off to an exciting start at Eleanor Palmer Primary in Tufnell Park as Labour MP Frank Dobson unveiled the quirky new vinyl floor for the first time on Wednesday.
Political parties called Meadows, Pebbles and Autumn Leaves were set up to represent the design options with the eye-catching pebbles pattern taking the majority vote among Year 6 pupils on election day.
The project was set up to teach the children about citizenship and democracy, as well as the importance of local elections.
MP for Holborn and St Pancras Mr Dobson said “I think this is a great idea to let you have your say” as he hailed Eleanor Palmer as “the school with amazing floors”.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s very encouraging to see younger children learning about the election process,” he said. “Their voting and decision-making will impact on the school and many students for years to come.”
Nell Godwin, representative of the winning Pebbles party, said: “It was great to learn about politics in this way.”
- 1 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 2 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 3 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 4 David Amess murder: Met searches London addresses
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 7 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 8 West Hampstead Women's Institute celebrates 10-year milestone
- 9 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 10 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
The winning flooring was provided by Harvey Maria, who work with British designers including Hemingway Design, Cath Kidston and Neisha Crosland.