Henrietta Barnett makes it into Tatler’s first ever guide to best state schools in country
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A Hampstead Garden Suburb secondary school has made it into Tatler’s first guide to the best state schools in the country.
Henrietta Barnett School (HBS) was listed in the high-society magazine among the likes of St Marylebone CofE School, Marylebone and Dame Alice Owen’s School, Hertfordshire.
The all-girls secondary was named one of the top UK state schools in the February edition of the glossy magazine, better known for its coverage of designer fashion, society gossip and public schools. The news will come as no surprise to parents as the Central Square grammar school often tops the GCSE and A-Level results tables.
The Tatler guide’s author writes: “HBS is super-selective: bright sparks sit exams in English, maths and numerical and verbal reasoning; approximately 2,100 apply each year for 93 Year 7 places.
“For those lucky 93, there’s a superb all-round education in a lovely Grade II-listed Lutyens building. “Fab facilities, too: check out the new multimillion-pound science wing and the double AstroTurf outside.”
You may also want to watch:
The 100-year-old school is the only secondary in north London to be selected for the guide.
Acting headteacher Mandy Watts said: “It is pleasing to be recognised by this major publication as an outstanding school and the article recognises some important aspects of our success. However, it offers only a snapshot. If the article makes prospective parents more aware of the school’s strengths than they were previously, then that can only be a good thing.”
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 3 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 4 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 5 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 9 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue