Hampstead School named secondary school of the year at national awards ceremony
- Credit: Archant
A Camden school has been named secondary school of the year at an awards ceremony to champion the development of children’s communication skills.
Hampstead School in Westbere Road, Cricklewood, was praised for teaching its pupils and staff how to speak and listen effectively in the classroom at the national Shine A Light Awards to champion the development of children’s communication skills, hosted by Hampstead comedian David Baddiel last month.
Since 2009, the school has worked closely with Camden Council’s speech and language therapy team, and all Year 7 pupils receive a “listening lesson” where teachers observe children and give feedback to the school’s special educational needs team.
The school also runs award schemes, where pupils are encouraged to use their speaking and listening skills to earn “star of the hour” and “speaking and listening stars”, with teachers awarding pupils at the end of each lesson.
A study found that 118 pupils out of 178 improved their speaking and listening skills and became more engaged in the classroom as a result.
You may also want to watch:
Hampstead School headteacher Jacques Szemalikowski said: “I am delighted that our pioneering work in communications skills has been recognised.
“At Hampstead School we are determined that when learners achieve the qualifications to get them an interview, their ability to communicate with others secures the position”.
- 1 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 2 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 5 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 6 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 7 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 10 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead