Hampstead School named secondary school of the year at national awards ceremony
- Credit: Archant
A Camden school has been named secondary school of the year at an awards ceremony to champion the development of children’s communication skills.
Hampstead School in Westbere Road, Cricklewood, was praised for teaching its pupils and staff how to speak and listen effectively in the classroom at the national Shine A Light Awards to champion the development of children’s communication skills, hosted by Hampstead comedian David Baddiel last month.
Since 2009, the school has worked closely with Camden Council’s speech and language therapy team, and all Year 7 pupils receive a “listening lesson” where teachers observe children and give feedback to the school’s special educational needs team.
The school also runs award schemes, where pupils are encouraged to use their speaking and listening skills to earn “star of the hour” and “speaking and listening stars”, with teachers awarding pupils at the end of each lesson.
A study found that 118 pupils out of 178 improved their speaking and listening skills and became more engaged in the classroom as a result.
You may also want to watch:
Hampstead School headteacher Jacques Szemalikowski said: “I am delighted that our pioneering work in communications skills has been recognised.
“At Hampstead School we are determined that when learners achieve the qualifications to get them an interview, their ability to communicate with others secures the position”.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 3 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 4 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music event for 'healthy hedonists'
- 5 Driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police - Porsche seized
- 6 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 7 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
- 8 Planning application nears for Murphy's Yard redevelopment
- 9 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 10 Mikel Arteta must trust Gabriel Martinelli against Villarreal