GCSEs: Record breaking set of results for University College School pupils in Hampstead
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead’s University College School (UCS) is celebrating today after achieving its best ever set of GCSE results.
The school’s A*-A pass rate is 87 per cent this year, up from 81 per cent in 2012, making it the best-performing independent school in the Ham&High’s results table so far.
A total of 18 top-performing students at the school achieved nine or more A*s, with one star pupil gaining 12 A*s and two others gaining 11 A*s.
All pupils at the school achieved the benchmark minimum of five A*-C grade GCSEs including maths and English, and just under half (49 per cent) were awarded A* to A grades.
Among them was Peter Laing of Langbourne Avenue, Highgate, who collected his results from the school this morning.
You may also want to watch:
The 16-year-old achieved five A*s, four As and one C.
He said: “They were better than what I was predicted, so I’m really pleased, but I’m a bit annoyed about my C grade in business studies.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 6 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 9 Camden, Haringey and Barnet mark Holocaust Memorial Day
- 10 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
“I was predicted an A* so I’m going to have it re-marked.
“But I told my family and they are really happy with what I got overall.”
Peter said he was off to celebrate at Reading Festival for the weekend with friends before returning to school in a few weeks to start his AS-levels in biology, physics, maths and economics.
Fellow pupil Pascal Jacobs, of Ridge Road, Child’s Hill, also went in to school to collect his results envelope and was pleased to find he had gained three A*s, six As and one B.
He is going on to study maths, further maths, biology and chemistry at AS-level.
UCS headmaster Mark Beard said: “These excellent results are a clear demonstration of the hard work and determination of all pupils and teaching staff at UCS.
“Each is to be commended for their dedication and commitment to balancing the academic rigour of public examinations with the many artistic, creative and sporting pursuits on offer at UCS.”