Free school buildings in Hampstead face being sold
Campaigners who want to set up a free school in Belsize are concerned that Camden Council may sell the buildings they have earmarked for the new primary.
The parents and community members submitted an application to the Department for Education this week and will find out in August if they have been successful in their quest to open a new non-denominational free school in NW3, in a bid to solve the places shortage in the area.
Up to 934 people have signed a petition in support of the school and the parents of 96 children have expressed an interest in sending them to it.
But campaigners are concerned that the council is planning to sell the buildings they have been looking at using – at 4 Maresfield Gardens and 9 Fitzjohn’s Avenue – before the government responds to their application.
If they are successful the DfE will either rent or buy the buildings from Camden. It is understood that the council is hoping to sell them for �5.5million on the open market.
You may also want to watch:
Linda Grove, a former deputy headteacher and Belsize Lane resident, who is involved in the campaign said: “They knew we wanted a building and have been slow to respond to our needs. We just hope they can wait until we hear back from the DfE before they sell it.”
A council spokeswoman said: ‘‘The sale of these hostels has formed part of the council’s community investment programme for some time and is a vital part of helping us achieve the �400 million we need to remedy the urgent backlog of maintenance requirements across all our council buildings.’’
- 1 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 2 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 3 David Amess murder: Met searches London addresses
- 4 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 5 West Hampstead Women's Institute celebrates 10-year milestone
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 8 Gay music hall icon Fred Barnes to be honoured with Maida Vale plaque
- 9 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 10 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub