Council assured ‘no horse meat’ in Camden school meals
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Parents in Camden have been reassured that no meals served in the borough’s schools have been affected by the horse meat scandal.
Caterlink, the company which supplies all Camden school meals, has given the council a guarantee no horse and pig products have found their way into beef burgers served to schoolchildren.
The company insists it does not use any meat-based product from Findus and other suppliers currently associated with the on-going investigation by the Food Standards Agency.
Cllr Angela Mason, cabinet member for children, said: “The horsemeat scandal is obviously worrying and parents especially will want to be sure that they know what their children are eating when they are at school.
“I am pleased that I can give a guarantee to parents that children with special food requirements, for example because of religious beliefs are completely safe when they are eating school meals.
You may also want to watch:
“Our contract with Caterlink provides a robust and stable basis to guarantee the high quality of the ingredients in Camden school meals.”
Penny Richards, Caterlink’s operation director, said: “Caterlink is proud of our farm to fork journey which ensures that we can trace the origin of our freshly prepared meat dishes to the farm where the animals are reared.
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 4 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 5 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
“All of our suppliers are audited by an external body to ensure that they comply with our and statutory obligations.”