Hampstead school provides weekly donations to help North Paddington Foodbank cope with rise in demand
- Credit: UCS Hampstead
A Hampstead school is delivering weekly donations to a stretched food bank dealing with a spike in demand from the coronavirus crisis.
UCS Hampstead, based across Frognal, Holly Hill and College Crescent, has donated hundreds of boxes of food to North Paddington Foodbank in Elgin Avenue.
The school estimates it has sourced more than 2,500 meals and 3,000 nappies for the food bank which is supporting an extra 570 homes during Covid-19 lockdown.
Mark Beard, UCS headmaster, said: “The food bank usually works with around 30 families so we were keen to try to help them cope in some way with the extra demand.
“We have been delighted with the response from the UCS community and the residents of Hampstead.”
You may also want to watch:
James Quayle, North Paddington Foodbank manager, said: “These donations from the UCS community have allowed us to fully stock a new distribution point which will give families in NW1 and NW8 access to the food they so badly need.
“The number of donations to our food bank has decreased in comparison to the rise in demand and I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this collection.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 5 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 6 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 7 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 8 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
“We value our link with UCS and we hugely appreciate the vital support which the school and its community regularly gives us.”
Donations to UCS Hampstead can be dropped off every Thursday between 10am-3pm at the pre-preparatory school - 6 College Crescent, South Hampstead, London, NW3 5LF.
UCS is asking for long-life, non-perishable food in particular.