Community youth project given £150,000 by Boris
HIGHGATE Newtown community centre – which works with young people in Camden at risk of offending – has been awarded more than £150,000 by London Mayor Boris Johnson. The funding aims to increase the number of young people in education, employment or train
HIGHGATE Newtown community centre - which works with young people in Camden at risk of offending - has been awarded more than £150,000 by London Mayor Boris Johnson.
The funding aims to increase the number of young people in education, employment or training and to help reduce the number of first-time offenders.
Nick Hoxan, from the centre, said: "We are overjoyed to hear the news that the Young Londoners Fund has agreed to fund its Phiz and Biz project.
"The grant ensures that the very young people who most need support, those who are most at risk of both rejecting and being discarded by society, will have their own service to help them become not only healthier but better equipped for making their way successfully into the adult world.
You may also want to watch:
"Phiz and Biz is a gym project that trains minds, not just bodies, and one voted for by young people themselves."
Mr Johnson said: "The Young Londoners Fund is a fantastic opportunity to support organisations as they work with young people who have, for a huge variety of reasons, fallen off the educational radar.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 6 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 9 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change