Children’s author Michael Morpurgo opens the Archer Academy
- Credit: Archant
Renowned children’s author Michael Morpurgo has officially opened a new free school in East Finchley.
The former children’s laureate unveiled a plaque to mark the formal opening of the Archer Academy, in Beaumont Close, last Thursday.
Mr Morpurgo also read a selection of his short stories to students and took part in a special Q&A session.
Headteacher Mick Quigley said: “I know I speak for everyone on the Archer Academy team when I say what an honour it is for us to have such a well-loved author officiating at our opening ceremony.
“English is one of our specialisms, and we have immersed ourselves in Michael’s books in preparation for his visit.”
You may also want to watch:
The new secondary school opened to 150 Year 7 pupils in September.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 3 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 7 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 8 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 9 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 10 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill