Children’s author Michael Morpurgo opens the Archer Academy
- Credit: Archant
Renowned children’s author Michael Morpurgo has officially opened a new free school in East Finchley.
The former children’s laureate unveiled a plaque to mark the formal opening of the Archer Academy, in Beaumont Close, last Thursday.
Mr Morpurgo also read a selection of his short stories to students and took part in a special Q&A session.
Headteacher Mick Quigley said: “I know I speak for everyone on the Archer Academy team when I say what an honour it is for us to have such a well-loved author officiating at our opening ceremony.
“English is one of our specialisms, and we have immersed ourselves in Michael’s books in preparation for his visit.”
You may also want to watch:
The new secondary school opened to 150 Year 7 pupils in September.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 5 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 9 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 10 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown