Children’s author Michael Morpurgo opens the Archer Academy
- Credit: Archant
Renowned children’s author Michael Morpurgo has officially opened a new free school in East Finchley.
The former children’s laureate unveiled a plaque to mark the formal opening of the Archer Academy, in Beaumont Close, last Thursday.
Mr Morpurgo also read a selection of his short stories to students and took part in a special Q&A session.
Headteacher Mick Quigley said: “I know I speak for everyone on the Archer Academy team when I say what an honour it is for us to have such a well-loved author officiating at our opening ceremony.
“English is one of our specialisms, and we have immersed ourselves in Michael’s books in preparation for his visit.”
You may also want to watch:
The new secondary school opened to 150 Year 7 pupils in September.
- 1 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 4 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 5 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 6 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 7 Supermarkets report shortages as shelves left empty
- 8 Camden's deputy mayor ditches Labour to join Greens
- 9 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
- 10 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill