Children’s author Michael Morpurgo opens the Archer Academy
- Credit: Archant
Renowned children’s author Michael Morpurgo has officially opened a new free school in East Finchley.
The former children’s laureate unveiled a plaque to mark the formal opening of the Archer Academy, in Beaumont Close, last Thursday.
Mr Morpurgo also read a selection of his short stories to students and took part in a special Q&A session.
Headteacher Mick Quigley said: “I know I speak for everyone on the Archer Academy team when I say what an honour it is for us to have such a well-loved author officiating at our opening ceremony.
“English is one of our specialisms, and we have immersed ourselves in Michael’s books in preparation for his visit.”
You may also want to watch:
The new secondary school opened to 150 Year 7 pupils in September.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 4 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 7 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 8 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 9 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre