Changes to free nursery places in Camden revealed
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Changes to free nursery places in Camden have been revealed.
The government has reduced Camden’s funding, meaning that to continue financing three and four-year-old’s 30 hours a week of free nursery time would have resulted in a funding gap of five million, according to the Camden Council.
As a result, at last night’s cabinet meeting, the council agreed to cut the 30 hours in half, depending on the eligibility of the children’s families.
From September, if you have a child aged three or four the new offer will be 15 hours for all families, plus an additional 15 hours for working families and 15 hours for families who meet the current criteria for two-year-old nursery provision.
Cllr Angela Mason, cabinet member for children at Camden Council, said: “Camden has pioneered 30 hours’ free nursery provision and we are glad that the government is now extending provision for working parents. However, this should not be at the expense of poorer children whose parents are not working.
You may also want to watch:
“The new funding formula for early years will not provide enough money to continue with the universal Camden offer, but I am pleased that Camden has decided to go beyond the statutory offer and fund extra hours for those children and families in greatest need of a helping hand in the crucial early years of life.”
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 3 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 4 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 5 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 6 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 7 Seven things to do in Hampstead and Highgate after May 17
- 8 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 9 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient