Camden teachers cycling length of wall that divides Palestinian West Bank and Israel
- Credit: Archant
A group of Camden teachers have challenged themselves to cycle the length of the separation wall that divides the Palestinian West Bank from Israel.
Gospel Oak School’s Megan Quinn, Maria Fidelis School’s Tom Oberst and Haverstock School’s Anna Wolmuth set off from Trafalgar Square and cycled for four days to the National Union of Teachers annual conference in Cardiff earlier this month in the first stage of their sponsored cycle.
The group aims to raise awareness of the impact of the separation wall as well as raising funds for the human rights education work of the Camden Abu Dis friendship Association.
The association’s volunteers in Palestine and Britain work to maintain communication between schools in the two countries.
Last October a group of teachers took part in an exchange to build twinning links between young people in Camden and those in Abu Dis, a suburb of Jerusalem, in the West Bank.
You may also want to watch:
Anna said: “We cycled with Palestinian flags flying from our bikes, which prompted conversations about human rights in Palestine and prompted generous on-the-road donations for our cause.
“The conference noted its joint work with the General Union of Palestinian Teachers on the rights of Palestinian students and teachers as a key priority in its international solidarity work.”
- 1 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 2 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 7 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 8 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 10 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
To make a donation to the crew – who have already raised more than £1,600 – visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/cycling-the-wall.