Camden teachers cycling length of wall that divides Palestinian West Bank and Israel
- Credit: Archant
A group of Camden teachers have challenged themselves to cycle the length of the separation wall that divides the Palestinian West Bank from Israel.
Gospel Oak School’s Megan Quinn, Maria Fidelis School’s Tom Oberst and Haverstock School’s Anna Wolmuth set off from Trafalgar Square and cycled for four days to the National Union of Teachers annual conference in Cardiff earlier this month in the first stage of their sponsored cycle.
The group aims to raise awareness of the impact of the separation wall as well as raising funds for the human rights education work of the Camden Abu Dis friendship Association.
The association’s volunteers in Palestine and Britain work to maintain communication between schools in the two countries.
Last October a group of teachers took part in an exchange to build twinning links between young people in Camden and those in Abu Dis, a suburb of Jerusalem, in the West Bank.
You may also want to watch:
Anna said: “We cycled with Palestinian flags flying from our bikes, which prompted conversations about human rights in Palestine and prompted generous on-the-road donations for our cause.
“The conference noted its joint work with the General Union of Palestinian Teachers on the rights of Palestinian students and teachers as a key priority in its international solidarity work.”
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 4 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 5 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 7 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actor dies aged 52
To make a donation to the crew – who have already raised more than £1,600 – visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/cycling-the-wall.