Camden student: ‘I went from speaking no English to borough’s top young role model’
- Credit: Archant
Joao Cordeiro, 15, arrived in the country from Portugal in 2011 virtually unable to speak any English.
Four years later, he is predicted to achieve nine A* to C grades in his GCSEs this year, and was chosen to receive the positive role model prize at the Camden Youth Awards on Wednesday.
Haverstock School pupil Joao said: “If you work hard, you can achieve anything in life.”
Joao, of Cricklewood, has already scored an A* grade at GCSE in his native language, Portuguese.
Since he started in Year 8 at Haverstock, he has been one of the school’s most active volunteers, helping out at every parents’ evening and event and working as a library assistant.
You may also want to watch:
He is also a keen thespian, taking part in whole-school productions and directing a play for his GCSEs.
Last year, he represented Haverstock at City Hall by receiving a Team London secondary schools volunteering award from the Mayor of London on behalf of the school.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 3 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 4 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 5 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 6 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 7 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 8 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 9 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 10 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
A spokesman for the Camden Youth Awards said in a statement: “He is, as always, organised and proactive, showing excellent ‘people skills’ and total reliability.”
He added: “Joao is respected by his peers and adults alike – he is an excellent role model and an example to all students of what can be achieved if you are totally focused and committed.”