Camden student: ‘I went from speaking no English to borough’s top young role model’
- Credit: Archant
Joao Cordeiro, 15, arrived in the country from Portugal in 2011 virtually unable to speak any English.
Four years later, he is predicted to achieve nine A* to C grades in his GCSEs this year, and was chosen to receive the positive role model prize at the Camden Youth Awards on Wednesday.
Haverstock School pupil Joao said: “If you work hard, you can achieve anything in life.”
Joao, of Cricklewood, has already scored an A* grade at GCSE in his native language, Portuguese.
Since he started in Year 8 at Haverstock, he has been one of the school’s most active volunteers, helping out at every parents’ evening and event and working as a library assistant.
You may also want to watch:
He is also a keen thespian, taking part in whole-school productions and directing a play for his GCSEs.
Last year, he represented Haverstock at City Hall by receiving a Team London secondary schools volunteering award from the Mayor of London on behalf of the school.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 Emergency services at Gospel Oak estate over safety concern
- 3 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 4 Famous Parliament Hill view still obscured as nesting birds delay work
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 Camden Council wrongly refused housing to domestic abuse victim
- 7 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 8 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 9 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 10 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
A spokesman for the Camden Youth Awards said in a statement: “He is, as always, organised and proactive, showing excellent ‘people skills’ and total reliability.”
He added: “Joao is respected by his peers and adults alike – he is an excellent role model and an example to all students of what can be achieved if you are totally focused and committed.”