Camden schools benefit from council regeneration programme
- Credit: Archant
Schools across Camden received a much-needed facelift in 2012 thanks to a multi-million pound council regeneration programme.
Last year, a total of 17 schools across the borough had improvements carried out on facilities, including heating systems, new windows and brickwork repairs.
Following government cuts of more than £200million to Camden Council’s capital budget and the withdrawal of funding from the Building Schools for the Future programme, the council devised the Community Investment Programme (CIP).
The 15-year plan aims to invest in schools, homes and community facilities by selling or redeveloping council properties that are out of date, expensive to maintain, or underused and difficult to access.
Investment in schools under the programme currently stands at approximately £117million over five years.
You may also want to watch:
In the current financial year, £10million is being spent on improvements at Camden schools, including Beckford Primary School in West Hampstead, Eleanor Palmer Primary School in Kentish Town, and Torriano Junior School in Kentish Town.
Cllr Theo Blackwell, Camden cabinet member for finance, said: “Schools are now more energy efficient and we have restored classrooms and buildings, but there is more to do and this is just the start.”
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 9 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 10 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill