EastEnders star backs Archer Academy’s £250,000 library project
- Credit: Archant
Archer Academy’s bid to fund a £250,000 library has moved a step closer to reality after the project received backing from an EastEnders star and a children’s author.
Steve McFadden, aka Phil Mitchell, was guest of honour on Friday evening for a fundraising party at the East Finchley school, which his daughter attends.
Steve, who has already donated £5,000 to the project, said: “Libraries are so important to our communities. I think of them as being a bit like chapels or places of refuge, somewhere that gives you a chance to think. It’s nice to see one opening up instead of being shut down. I’d like the government to put more money into libraries and stop closing them.”
Also in attendance was author Anne-Marie Conway, who is aiming to sell 5,000 copies of her new book Unicorn Girl to raise money for the new library. The appetite for reading at Archer Academy was clear, with 300 books bought on the night.
Anne-Marie said: “The launch event exceeded all my expectations. My aim to sell 5,000 copies to raise money for the new library got off to an incredible start. I think a little bit of ‘unicorn’ magic rubbed off on everyone there. O
You may also want to watch:
“Over the course of the day, meeting and working with Year 7 children, and then on to the evening event, we managed to sell over 300 books. I’ve had such good feedback from people who have already read it and now I’m hoping that they will buy it as Christmas presents for friends as well.”
Headteacher Lucy Harrison added: “We’ve had a wonderful evening and I can’t thank Anne-Marie enough for her help with our fundraising. One of the very special things about this book is that the proceeds will enable us to build a new library at the Archer. I believe that a library is an essential part of a successful campus school and I can’t wait for us to have one here..”
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 5 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 8 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 9 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 10 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub