Belsize Park actress Helena Bonham Carter reminisces about Hampstead schooldays
- Credit: Archant
Actress Helena Bonham Carter returned to her old school to officially open its new building and reminisce about her time as a pupil.
The Hollywood star, of Belsize Park, led a glamorous evening of entertainment last Wednesday showing off the £30million glass-fronted extension at the all-girls South Hampstead High School (SHHS), in Maresfield Gardens, Hampstead.
In a speech to pupils, teachers and guests - including her old headteacher Averil Burgess - she remembered that when she was at the school, classes used to be arranged alphabetically.
Consequently, many of her best friends have surnames beginning with the letter ‘b’.
The 48-year-old actress also provided pupils with words of wisdom, advising them that their female friendships are the most important they will ever make.
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Helen Pike said: “The opening exceeded expectations and I have never seen the girls more excited.
“Helena was generous, witty and fun. We are so proud that she is an old girl of SHHS and it was perfect that she opened the school for us.”
- 1 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 2 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 3 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 4 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 5 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 6 Four charged following reports of antisemitism in St John's Wood
- 7 Theatre review: Crouch End and Upminster collide in modern love story
- 8 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 9 'My theatre group saved my life on a Zoom call,' says amputee
- 10 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
Pupils showcased what they learn in the classroom by putting on a sumptuous Roman banquet of fake peacock, a colourful psychological taste test, and dance performances, before a climatic finale concert.
The night was one of two official opening ceremonies held last week, with a separate evening for parents held on Thursday.
Pupils first moved into the new school building in October last year following two-and-a-half years of construction works.
It was designed by the architects behind the London Olympic velodrome.