A-level results day 2019: Harris Academy St John’s Wood celebrates visually impaired student’s success
- Credit: Archant
Harris Academy St John’s Wood has a new senior management team in post, and they had some incredible A-level success stories to celebrate.
One of the top performers this year was Shahin Nawabi, who is visually impaired.
Shahin wowed staff with his BTEC results - he scored a distinction in business and merits in both IT and art - and this means he can head off to the University of East London.
There he is planning to study an accountancy and finance course.
Another stand-out was Saif Ali Khan, the youngest person in his school year.
You may also want to watch:
Still only 17, he scored two Bs in addition to a distinction in sport.
As such, he's off to the University of Hertfordshire to study sports management.
- 1 First-time buyers fear ruin as 'dream' flats fail fire safety test
- 2 Petition to save oak and hornbeam trees in Coldfall Wood
- 3 Covid-19 surge testing in East Finchley after South African variant appears
- 4 Covid-19: Area around Royal Free one of few in UK to avoid deaths
- 5 'Paul the Paper' shuts up shop in Crouch End for the final time
- 6 Free Nazanin: Pressure on government rises as end of sentence approaches
- 7 Arteta concerned about Arsenal striker Nketiah
- 8 Leila Roy tributes: 'We will miss her energy and her big heart'
- 9 Highgate's Victorian 'pineapple' railings repaired and restored.
- 10 Woodland is being damage - time to show some respect
Other academic stars include Matondo Wazimbuka, who earned ABB and plans to go on to City University to study media communications and sociology, and Sara Ahmed - who gained an amazing two A*s and two As and heads to LSE to read history.
The school said it looked to have been a great year, increasing the 'value-added' scores pupil were achieving compared to their GCSEs and improvements in its number of overall A*s and As compared to 2018 - this goes against the national picture.
The school's head of sixth form Elizabeth English said: "This year represents another successful year for the students of Harris Academy St John's Wood, who have worked hard with the support of our dedicated staff to achieve their results.
"We are proud that we have built on the successes of last year, and continue to push to ensure that all of our students achieve their maximum potential to enable them to pursue whatever they want to."