A-level results day 2019: Harris Academy St John’s Wood celebrates visually impaired student’s success
- Credit: Archant
Harris Academy St John’s Wood has a new senior management team in post, and they had some incredible A-level success stories to celebrate.
One of the top performers this year was Shahin Nawabi, who is visually impaired.
Shahin wowed staff with his BTEC results - he scored a distinction in business and merits in both IT and art - and this means he can head off to the University of East London.
There he is planning to study an accountancy and finance course.
Another stand-out was Saif Ali Khan, the youngest person in his school year.
Still only 17, he scored two Bs in addition to a distinction in sport.
As such, he's off to the University of Hertfordshire to study sports management.
- 1 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 2 Graham Chapman's Highgate haunt gets a refurb
- 3 'Incredibly kind and caring': Tribute to wife who died with brain tumour
- 4 Plumber found guilty of road rage murder of Deliveroo driver
- 5 Recap: Tree on the tracks disrupts London, Stansted and Cambridge trains
- 6 Crouch End bar loses licence as court appeal fails
- 7 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 8 Infected blood scandal victims to receive £100k interim payments
- 9 'Let’s take the motor traffic out of Swiss Cottage'
- 10 'Wet End Lane': Leak could take five days to fix
Other academic stars include Matondo Wazimbuka, who earned ABB and plans to go on to City University to study media communications and sociology, and Sara Ahmed - who gained an amazing two A*s and two As and heads to LSE to read history.
The school said it looked to have been a great year, increasing the 'value-added' scores pupil were achieving compared to their GCSEs and improvements in its number of overall A*s and As compared to 2018 - this goes against the national picture.
The school's head of sixth form Elizabeth English said: "This year represents another successful year for the students of Harris Academy St John's Wood, who have worked hard with the support of our dedicated staff to achieve their results.
"We are proud that we have built on the successes of last year, and continue to push to ensure that all of our students achieve their maximum potential to enable them to pursue whatever they want to."