Edgware Road professional beggar found guilty of child cruelty
A PROFESSIONAL female beggar who forced her children onto the streets of Westminster to ask people for money is facing a lengthy jail term. Speranta Mihai, 33, used her two sons and three daughters as props when they accompanied her on Edgware Road and
A PROFESSIONAL female beggar who forced her children onto the streets of Westminster to ask people for money is facing a lengthy jail term.
Speranta Mihai, 33, used her two sons and three daughters as "props" when they accompanied her on Edgware Road and the streets of Paddington and Bayswater.
She also sent them out unaccompanied to coax cash out of passers-by through aggressively harassing them.
Her husband, Gheorghe was warned he will be jailed for a series of frauds.
You may also want to watch:
At Reading Crown Court on Monday the pair - both Romanian nationals and members of the Roma community - admitted two charges of child cruelty, relating to making the youngsters beg and to not providing them with an education.
Georghe Mihai had already admitted four counts of fraud and one of converting criminal property.
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 4 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 7 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 8 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 9 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 10 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans