Ed Miliband: ‘Hampstead residents will support mansion tax if they know more about it’
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Ed Miliband insists Hampstead and Kilburn residents who are worried about Labour’s mansion tax would support the policy if they knew more about it.
The Labour leader slammed Conservative parliamentary candidate Cllr Simon Marcus for “spreading mistruths” about the flagship Labour policy.
Last month, Cllr Marcus was accused of scare-mongering for sending out letters about the mansion tax to Hampstead and Kilburn constituents mocked up like a council tax demand.
Speaking at Haverstock School, Mr Miliband told the Ham&High: “I’ve seen this letter that this Conservative chap is putting out.
“I think it’s really important to say to people in the constituency, don’t believe this letter, it’s just not true.
You may also want to watch:
“We have said that anybody who is a lower rate taxpayer is going to be able to defer the charge.
“People care about the NHS and people with broader shoulders are going to bear the burden.
- 1 Cyclist dies after Crouch End car door crash, police appeal for witnesses
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Crouch End
- 3 Camden Covid-19 vaccine bus comes to JW3
- 4 Highgate residents challenge plans for 'intrusive' 16-metre 5G mast
- 5 Builders finish first block in controversial Hornsey Town Hall development
- 6 Eleven things to do at the 2021 Highgate Festival
- 7 'Antisemitic abuse was aimed at me because of my kippah' says faith leader
- 8 Jimmy C obituary: Crouch End blues musician who 'brought so much love'
- 9 Camden's £50k Covid-19 fall in house prices bucks north London trend
- 10 Covid-19 Delta variant cases rising in north London
“I think it’s the right policy and when people hear what the policy is about rather than what it isn’t about from the Tories, they will see that.”