Ed Miliband: ‘Hampstead residents will support mansion tax if they know more about it’
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Ed Miliband insists Hampstead and Kilburn residents who are worried about Labour’s mansion tax would support the policy if they knew more about it.
The Labour leader slammed Conservative parliamentary candidate Cllr Simon Marcus for “spreading mistruths” about the flagship Labour policy.
Last month, Cllr Marcus was accused of scare-mongering for sending out letters about the mansion tax to Hampstead and Kilburn constituents mocked up like a council tax demand.
Speaking at Haverstock School, Mr Miliband told the Ham&High: “I’ve seen this letter that this Conservative chap is putting out.
“I think it’s really important to say to people in the constituency, don’t believe this letter, it’s just not true.
You may also want to watch:
“We have said that anybody who is a lower rate taxpayer is going to be able to defer the charge.
“People care about the NHS and people with broader shoulders are going to bear the burden.
- 1 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 2 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 3 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 6 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 7 For sale: Suggs' former 'bachelor pad' with gold-gilded underground bar
- 8 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 9 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 10 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
“I think it’s the right policy and when people hear what the policy is about rather than what it isn’t about from the Tories, they will see that.”