East Kilburn plan to oust West Hampstead and it's not an April Fool
WEST Hampstead residents may understandably think it is an April Fool, but apparently an online campaign is afoot to rename their tube station East Kilburn. A group of discontented Kilburn residents have launched a petition to change the name of the tub
WEST Hampstead residents may understandably think it is an April Fool, but apparently an online campaign is afoot to rename their tube station East Kilburn.
A group of discontented Kilburn residents have launched a petition to change the name of the tube station they feel lies within their community boundaries.
Kilburn residents, on social networking site Facebook, started a petition last week to change the name of West Hampstead tube station to East Kilburn - and already the group has already swelled to 287 members.
The group, created by University of Westminster graduate Chrissy Tignor, states: "It is time to acknowledge Greater Kilburn for the benefit of all."
Jitendra Thakorlal, who has lived in West Hampstead for 45 years and owns an estate agent's in West End Lane, said he was not in favour.
"I do not think anybody would support such a thing, West Hampstead still has a really nice village feel," he said.
- 1 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 2 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 3 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 4 Camden councillors set to give themselves a pay rise
- 5 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 6 Heath patrols to increase after fisherman robbed at knifepoint
- 7 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 8 Crouch End Festival: 'Back with a bang bigger than ever'
- 9 Five bedroom Arts and Crafts style house with landscaped garden in Muswell Hill/East Finchley borders
- 10 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
"Being an estate agent myself I know the majority of people who come in specify they do not want to live in Kilburn."
Councillor James King for Kilburn added: "I am the first to be out there selling the merits of Kilburn because it is a fantastic place, but I am not sure there is any need to change the name from West Hampstead.