East Kilburn plan to oust West Hampstead and it's not an April Fool
WEST Hampstead residents may understandably think it is an April Fool, but apparently an online campaign is afoot to rename their tube station East Kilburn. A group of discontented Kilburn residents have launched a petition to change the name of the tub
WEST Hampstead residents may understandably think it is an April Fool, but apparently an online campaign is afoot to rename their tube station East Kilburn.
A group of discontented Kilburn residents have launched a petition to change the name of the tube station they feel lies within their community boundaries.
Kilburn residents, on social networking site Facebook, started a petition last week to change the name of West Hampstead tube station to East Kilburn - and already the group has already swelled to 287 members.
The group, created by University of Westminster graduate Chrissy Tignor, states: "It is time to acknowledge Greater Kilburn for the benefit of all."
You may also want to watch:
Jitendra Thakorlal, who has lived in West Hampstead for 45 years and owns an estate agent's in West End Lane, said he was not in favour.
"I do not think anybody would support such a thing, West Hampstead still has a really nice village feel," he said.
- 1 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 2 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 4 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 5 Taste of Nawab: A community staple with Tripadvisor acclaim
- 6 Early plans under way for Dartmouth Park LTN scheme
- 7 Skyscraper plans rejected by Westminster Council over damage to views
- 8 'Real harm to wildlife': Invasive crayfish in Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 9 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 10 Man stabbed on Finchley Road
"Being an estate agent myself I know the majority of people who come in specify they do not want to live in Kilburn."
Councillor James King for Kilburn added: "I am the first to be out there selling the merits of Kilburn because it is a fantastic place, but I am not sure there is any need to change the name from West Hampstead.