East Kilburn plan to oust West Hampstead and it's not an April Fool
WEST Hampstead residents may understandably think it is an April Fool, but apparently an online campaign is afoot to rename their tube station East Kilburn. A group of discontented Kilburn residents have launched a petition to change the name of the tub
WEST Hampstead residents may understandably think it is an April Fool, but apparently an online campaign is afoot to rename their tube station East Kilburn.
A group of discontented Kilburn residents have launched a petition to change the name of the tube station they feel lies within their community boundaries.
Kilburn residents, on social networking site Facebook, started a petition last week to change the name of West Hampstead tube station to East Kilburn - and already the group has already swelled to 287 members.
The group, created by University of Westminster graduate Chrissy Tignor, states: "It is time to acknowledge Greater Kilburn for the benefit of all."
Jitendra Thakorlal, who has lived in West Hampstead for 45 years and owns an estate agent's in West End Lane, said he was not in favour.
"I do not think anybody would support such a thing, West Hampstead still has a really nice village feel," he said.
- 1 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 2 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 3 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 4 Crouch End pub calls for dialogue over noise complaints
- 5 Highgate School to overhaul safeguarding after sexual abuse review
- 6 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 7 NLWA signs contract for ‘significant’ Edmonton Incinerator project
- 8 Man allegedly 'shouted racist abuse' in Waterlow Park
- 9 Man arrested after car overturns on Camden Road
- 10 Matt Lucas backs school's drive to build arts studio
"Being an estate agent myself I know the majority of people who come in specify they do not want to live in Kilburn."
Councillor James King for Kilburn added: "I am the first to be out there selling the merits of Kilburn because it is a fantastic place, but I am not sure there is any need to change the name from West Hampstead.