East Kilburn plan to oust West Hampstead and it's not an April Fool
WEST Hampstead residents may understandably think it is an April Fool, but apparently an online campaign is afoot to rename their tube station East Kilburn. A group of discontented Kilburn residents have launched a petition to change the name of the tub
WEST Hampstead residents may understandably think it is an April Fool, but apparently an online campaign is afoot to rename their tube station East Kilburn.
A group of discontented Kilburn residents have launched a petition to change the name of the tube station they feel lies within their community boundaries.
Kilburn residents, on social networking site Facebook, started a petition last week to change the name of West Hampstead tube station to East Kilburn - and already the group has already swelled to 287 members.
The group, created by University of Westminster graduate Chrissy Tignor, states: "It is time to acknowledge Greater Kilburn for the benefit of all."
You may also want to watch:
Jitendra Thakorlal, who has lived in West Hampstead for 45 years and owns an estate agent's in West End Lane, said he was not in favour.
"I do not think anybody would support such a thing, West Hampstead still has a really nice village feel," he said.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 6 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 9 Camden, Haringey and Barnet mark Holocaust Memorial Day
- 10 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
"Being an estate agent myself I know the majority of people who come in specify they do not want to live in Kilburn."
Councillor James King for Kilburn added: "I am the first to be out there selling the merits of Kilburn because it is a fantastic place, but I am not sure there is any need to change the name from West Hampstead.