East Finchley mum recognised with MBE for lucrative Hallett Retail fashion business
- Credit: Archant
A mother-of-two who set up a multimillion-pound fashion business from an office in her East Finchley home has been honoured for her achievements.
Wendy Hallett, 49, started Hallett Retail at her former home in Bedford Road, East Finchley, in 1999 and now employs more than 1,000 people nationwide.
The former Topshop manager was made an MBE for services to diversity in the retail sector in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List.
She said: “The table on the landing in our old house in Bedford Road was how it all started. It was never some big business plan, it was just so I could work at a challenging level and have the flexibility I needed with two young children.
“To have now received an MBE is absolutely incredible!”
You may also want to watch:
Hallet Retail, which has a head office in Church Lane, East Finchley, operates as a department store concession which showcases small, independent brands.
It is an umbrella firm for 100 small brands and concessions in stores such as House of Fraser, Debenhams and New Look.
- 1 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 2 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 3 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 4 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 5 Reader letter: Rubbish bins in Camden need 'levelling up'
- 6 We are acting to stop low-quality housing being built in Haringey
- 7 Hampstead bakery sells challah hearts for Mental Health Awareness Week
- 8 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 9 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 10 'I want to make a difference': new leader for Haringey Council
Mrs Hallett has been commended for her work with the Women’s Business Council.