East Finchley mum recognised with MBE for lucrative Hallett Retail fashion business
- Credit: Archant
A mother-of-two who set up a multimillion-pound fashion business from an office in her East Finchley home has been honoured for her achievements.
Wendy Hallett, 49, started Hallett Retail at her former home in Bedford Road, East Finchley, in 1999 and now employs more than 1,000 people nationwide.
The former Topshop manager was made an MBE for services to diversity in the retail sector in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List.
She said: “The table on the landing in our old house in Bedford Road was how it all started. It was never some big business plan, it was just so I could work at a challenging level and have the flexibility I needed with two young children.
“To have now received an MBE is absolutely incredible!”
You may also want to watch:
Hallet Retail, which has a head office in Church Lane, East Finchley, operates as a department store concession which showcases small, independent brands.
It is an umbrella firm for 100 small brands and concessions in stores such as House of Fraser, Debenhams and New Look.
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 3 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 6 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 9 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 10 Russia 'responsible for assassinating' Muswell Hill resident Litvinenko
Mrs Hallett has been commended for her work with the Women’s Business Council.