East Finchley fire: Sixty escape huge blaze at Barnet Homes flats
- Credit: Archant
Sixty people escaped a huge blaze at in East Finchley which needed 100 firefighters and fifteen fire engine to bring it under control in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Flames destroyed the roof and damaged part of the second floor at Willow House on the Grange Estate, but the fire brigade reported nobody was known to have been injured.
Fire service station manager Peter Gustafson, who was at the scene, said: “When crews arrived they were faced with a well developed fire in the roof space of the building.”
The brigade were called to the block just after midnight, and although the fire was under control by 2am, firefighters remained on the scene throughout the night.
Willow House is a Barnet Homes owned property on the Grange Estate, and Barnet Council released a statement confirming they and Barnet Homes were assisting residents at the scene and will be working to help those affected.
You may also want to watch:
It is not yet known what caused the blaze.
- 1 O2 Centre redevelopment consultation opened by Camden Council
- 2 Government punishes Haringey Council over missed housing target
- 3 Remembering 'positive, caring and kind' Hornsey pupil Amy
- 4 'Two people who love each other': 70 years together for Hermi and Shirley
- 5 'Dumped and forgotten': Homeless families on life in England's Lane hostel
- 6 Talking Bob Dylan, life, culture, politics and Shakespeare
- 7 I completely trust Aubameyang says Arsenal boss Arteta
- 8 UCS Hampstead pupils launch podcast to help GCSE history revision
- 9 West Hampstead flat owners face £100k bills for flammable cladding
- 10 Morrisons opens replacement store in Chalk Farm