Crouch End bakery launches new reusable coffee cup
- Credit: David Winskill
A Crouch End high street favourite is bidding to do its bit for the environment, by introducing reusable coffee cups.
Dunns, in the Broadway, will be selling them for £2.95.
Every time a customer comes in from then onwards, they will get a discount on the normal price of a hot drink. Bosses reckon it’ll stop thousands of disposable cups going to landfill.
The deal follows similar ones set up by national chains in recent months.
Hornsey and Wood Green MP Catherine West was one of the first people to buy the new cup. She wrote a cross-party letter, signed by 200 people, encouraging supermarkets to eliminate plastic packaging.
You may also want to watch:
Lewis Freeman, who runs Dunns, added: “We’re working hard to reduce our carbon footprint as well as trying to tame the amount of waste we create. Unlike the big supermarkets we do not haul our goods nationwide, and customers have the option of taking their goods in paper bags, not plastic, thus reducing our plastic usage.”
Catherine West said: “I am immensely proud to be leading the campaign in Parliament to tackle plastic pollution, but I am even more proud to see fantastic local businesses like Dunn’s leading the charge on the front line to encourage people to abandon single use plastics.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 4 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 7 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 10 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
“I hope businesses and public bodies will follow the example set by Dunn’s!”