Drugs raids sweep Maida Vale
DAWN raids rocked the north of Westminster yesterday (Thursday) as police tackled drug dealers and gang members head-on, writes Ed Thomas. Ten co-ordinated raids saw doors smashed down around the Harrow Road and Maida Vale area at 5am. Police were targeti
DAWN raids rocked the north of Westminster yesterday (Thursday) as police tackled drug dealers and gang members head-on, writes Ed Thomas.
Ten co-ordinated raids saw doors smashed down around the Harrow Road and Maida Vale area at 5am. Police were targeting drug dealers and gang members suspected of carrying weapons. The raids were part of Operation Blunt, and involved all 32 London boroughs in a joint offensive.
Locally, six arrests were made for possession of drugs with intent to supply, and two people were detained on suspicion of handling stolen goods. Cash and quantities of cocaine and cannabis were also confiscated by officers.
"This has been the biggest operation of its kind against gangs in London," said Inspector Graham Cross, of Paddington Green police station.
You may also want to watch:
Insp Cross said each estate has its own gangs who engage in turf wars over drugs. The gangs, such as the 'SD' crew on the Mozart estate, identify themselves using particular colours or bandanas and pose a threat to the community.
"We are not going to tolerate their type of behaviour," said Insp Cross. "We are driving down gun and knife crime, and making people's lives safer.
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 4 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 5 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 6 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 7 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 8 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 9 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham
- 10 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre