Drugs raids sweep Maida Vale
DAWN raids rocked the north of Westminster yesterday (Thursday) as police tackled drug dealers and gang members head-on, writes Ed Thomas. Ten co-ordinated raids saw doors smashed down around the Harrow Road and Maida Vale area at 5am. Police were targeti
DAWN raids rocked the north of Westminster yesterday (Thursday) as police tackled drug dealers and gang members head-on, writes Ed Thomas.
Ten co-ordinated raids saw doors smashed down around the Harrow Road and Maida Vale area at 5am. Police were targeting drug dealers and gang members suspected of carrying weapons. The raids were part of Operation Blunt, and involved all 32 London boroughs in a joint offensive.
Locally, six arrests were made for possession of drugs with intent to supply, and two people were detained on suspicion of handling stolen goods. Cash and quantities of cocaine and cannabis were also confiscated by officers.
"This has been the biggest operation of its kind against gangs in London," said Inspector Graham Cross, of Paddington Green police station.
You may also want to watch:
Insp Cross said each estate has its own gangs who engage in turf wars over drugs. The gangs, such as the 'SD' crew on the Mozart estate, identify themselves using particular colours or bandanas and pose a threat to the community.
"We are not going to tolerate their type of behaviour," said Insp Cross. "We are driving down gun and knife crime, and making people's lives safer.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United