Dramatic ram raid on Hampstead store
Thieves ram raided a Hampstead High Street shop in the early hours of yesterday (Friday). The burglary took place at Comptoir de Cotonniers, an upmarket French clothing store, at about 2.15am. The vehicle charged at and then smasked the glass frontage o
Thieves ram raided a Hampstead High Street shop in the early hours of yesterday (Friday).
The burglary took place at Comptoir de Cotonniers, an upmarket French clothing store, at about 2.15am.
The vehicle charged at and then smasked the glass frontage of the shop and one man rushed out to grab clothes.
He returned to the vehicle and then sped off towards Hampstead Heath. The suspect is described as a white male aged around 20.
You may also want to watch:
By Friday lunchtime the shop floor was still strewn with glass and the front of the shop was patched up with a sheet of metal.
The shop's employees were gathered outside the scene awaiting a police forensics team.
- 1 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 2 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 3 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 4 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 5 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 8 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 9 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
Other proprietors on the high street spoke of their fears about security in the wake of the burglary.
Lina Hristova, 21, a shop assistant at Jade clothes shop, said: "Things like this happen from time to time. It's not a good thing. It has happened all along this street and it worries all the shops and the owners because it could happen to anyone. I don't think there are enough cameras or security."
No arrests have been made and enquiries continue. Camden Police are appealing for information and witnesses.