Donate to this year’s Highgate Village Christmas lights campaign
Christmas cheer is beginning to spread in Highgate after Haringey Council offered to store the village’s festive lights this year.
Last month campaigners launched a campaign to transform the village into a winter wonderland with traditional Christmas lights.
The newly formed Highgate Village Business Association (HVBA) has decided it will be cheaper in the long-run to buy the lights and have them for many years to come.
Jane Wiles, owner of children’s shop notsobig and chairwoman of the HVBA sub-committee, said: “We are so happy to have Haringey Council working with the HVBA in making Highgate look festive and reflecting the beauty and heritage of our village.
“Haringey agreed to store and maintain our lights for a fee but will install and take down the lights every year in the high street.
“We are planning a string of classic white lights across the high street and hopefully plan to light up some of the trees in the village too.”
The Festive Lighting Company, which lights up the tree outside the Dorchester Hotel in Park Lane, is involved.
- 1 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 2 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 3 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 4 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 5 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 6 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 7 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 8 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 9 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 10 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
But the traders are calling on members of the community to donate to the campaign so there is enough money to pay for the decorations.
“We are really grateful to everyone who has contacted us so far to make a contribution to the Christmas lights and particularly to the main sponsors which have been extremely generous,” Ms Wiles said.
“They include The Highgate Hospital, Streathers Solicitors LLP and Goldschmidt & Howland Ltd.
“In total some 56 businesses and residents have donated so far which will enable us to decorate the village in the style it deserves this year.”
Anyone wishing to contribute should email firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheques should be made out to the HVBA or you can also drop off any donations to the collection box held at Brooksby newsagents in Highgate High Street.