Donate to this year’s Highgate Village Christmas lights campaign
Christmas cheer is beginning to spread in Highgate after Haringey Council offered to store the village’s festive lights this year.
Last month campaigners launched a campaign to transform the village into a winter wonderland with traditional Christmas lights.
The newly formed Highgate Village Business Association (HVBA) has decided it will be cheaper in the long-run to buy the lights and have them for many years to come.
Jane Wiles, owner of children’s shop notsobig and chairwoman of the HVBA sub-committee, said: “We are so happy to have Haringey Council working with the HVBA in making Highgate look festive and reflecting the beauty and heritage of our village.
“Haringey agreed to store and maintain our lights for a fee but will install and take down the lights every year in the high street.
You may also want to watch:
“We are planning a string of classic white lights across the high street and hopefully plan to light up some of the trees in the village too.”
The Festive Lighting Company, which lights up the tree outside the Dorchester Hotel in Park Lane, is involved.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 3 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 8 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
But the traders are calling on members of the community to donate to the campaign so there is enough money to pay for the decorations.
“We are really grateful to everyone who has contacted us so far to make a contribution to the Christmas lights and particularly to the main sponsors which have been extremely generous,” Ms Wiles said.
“They include The Highgate Hospital, Streathers Solicitors LLP and Goldschmidt & Howland Ltd.
“In total some 56 businesses and residents have donated so far which will enable us to decorate the village in the style it deserves this year.”
Anyone wishing to contribute should email email@example.com
Cheques should be made out to the HVBA or you can also drop off any donations to the collection box held at Brooksby newsagents in Highgate High Street.