Don't be stupid: call on your council to sign up for 10:10
BY ALEXIS ROWELL A new campaign has been launched to persuade everyone in Britain to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by 10 per cent in 2010. It s called 10 in 10 and it s the brainchild of Camden girl Franny Armstrong, director of the climate chang
BY ALEXIS ROWELL
A new campaign has been launched to persuade everyone in Britain to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by 10 per cent in 2010. It's called 10 in 10 and it's the brainchild of Camden girl Franny Armstrong, director of the climate change film, The Age of Stupid.
Cutting 10 per cent in one year is a bold target, but for most of us it's an achievable one, and it's in line with what climate change scientists say we need right now.
By signing up to 10:10 we're not just promising to reduce our own emissions - we're becoming part of a national drive to hit this ambitious goal country-wide. In our homes, in our workplaces, our schools and our hospitals, our galleries and football clubs and universities, we'll be backing each other up as we take the first steps on the road to becoming a low-carbon society.
You may also want to watch:
Our aim is to persuade the UK government to pledge a cut of 10 per cent in our national emissions in 2010 at the Copenhagen climate change negotiations in December. If we can do it, then so can the UK government. And if the UK government can do it, then so can other governments. And if we all do it, then we'll be on track to prevent runaway climate change.
You can sign up at www.1010uk.org.
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Arsenal boss Arteta worried about player burnout
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
- 6 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 7 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 8 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 9 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 10 West Hampstead restaurant cooks for NHS carers
Ten councils have already pledged to cut their emissions by 10% in 2010. They are Eastleigh, Greenwich, Hackney, Islington, Kirklees, Oxford, Richmond, Slough, Stroud and West Sussex. If you'd like to see Camden, Haringey, Barnet (or your local council) sign up to 10:10, then please email your local councillors and the Leader of the Council.
The time is now.
Alexis Rowell is Coordinator, 10:10 Councils &
Chair, Camden Council all-party Sustainability Task Force