Don't be stupid: call on your council to sign up for 10:10
BY ALEXIS ROWELL A new campaign has been launched to persuade everyone in Britain to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by 10 per cent in 2010. It s called 10 in 10 and it s the brainchild of Camden girl Franny Armstrong, director of the climate chang
BY ALEXIS ROWELL
A new campaign has been launched to persuade everyone in Britain to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by 10 per cent in 2010. It's called 10 in 10 and it's the brainchild of Camden girl Franny Armstrong, director of the climate change film, The Age of Stupid.
Cutting 10 per cent in one year is a bold target, but for most of us it's an achievable one, and it's in line with what climate change scientists say we need right now.
By signing up to 10:10 we're not just promising to reduce our own emissions - we're becoming part of a national drive to hit this ambitious goal country-wide. In our homes, in our workplaces, our schools and our hospitals, our galleries and football clubs and universities, we'll be backing each other up as we take the first steps on the road to becoming a low-carbon society.
Our aim is to persuade the UK government to pledge a cut of 10 per cent in our national emissions in 2010 at the Copenhagen climate change negotiations in December. If we can do it, then so can the UK government. And if the UK government can do it, then so can other governments. And if we all do it, then we'll be on track to prevent runaway climate change.
You can sign up at www.1010uk.org.
- 1 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 2 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 3 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
- 4 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 5 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 6 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 7 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 8 Elvis Presley songwriter and former Ham&High columnist dies aged 82
- 9 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 10 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
Ten councils have already pledged to cut their emissions by 10% in 2010. They are Eastleigh, Greenwich, Hackney, Islington, Kirklees, Oxford, Richmond, Slough, Stroud and West Sussex. If you'd like to see Camden, Haringey, Barnet (or your local council) sign up to 10:10, then please email your local councillors and the Leader of the Council.
The time is now.
Alexis Rowell is Coordinator, 10:10 Councils &
Chair, Camden Council all-party Sustainability Task Force