Doctor driven to death by mum’s ‘gay cure’ advice commemorated on anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Friends of a much-loved doctor who died after throwing himself from a top floor apartment gathered in Hampstead for a special evening to mark the one-year anniversary of his death.
Dr Nazim Mahmood, a Harley Street doctor, committed suicide on July 30 last year by leaping from the balcony of his apartment off West End Lane, in West Hampstead, after his Muslim mother told him to find a “cure” for being gay.
His fiancé Matt Ogston hosted a pink carpet film screening and reception to commemorate the anniversary at the Everyman Cinema, in Holly Bush Vale, on Thursday last week.
The event, titled An Evening to Find Acceptance, raised funds for the Naz and Matt Foundation, a charity which Mr Ogston launched in the wake of his partner’s death.
On the night, Mr Ogston screened a short film tracing his journey over the past year. A collection of images exploring Dr Mahmood’s story by photojournalist Lisa Bretherick were also on show.
You may also want to watch:
The main feature of the evening was a screening of Bollywood film The Square Circle, which challenges gender identity, gender roles and sexuality.
The Naz and Matt Foundation aims to change attitudes and increase acceptance of gay, lesbian and transgender young people born into religious families, and to offer support to individuals affected.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 4 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 5 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 6 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
- 9 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 10 Home of the Week: Refurbished three storey, five bedroom family home for sale in Finchley
For more information about the Naz and Matt Foundation, go to nazandmattfoundation.org