Doctor driven to death by mum’s ‘gay cure’ advice commemorated on anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Friends of a much-loved doctor who died after throwing himself from a top floor apartment gathered in Hampstead for a special evening to mark the one-year anniversary of his death.
Dr Nazim Mahmood, a Harley Street doctor, committed suicide on July 30 last year by leaping from the balcony of his apartment off West End Lane, in West Hampstead, after his Muslim mother told him to find a “cure” for being gay.
His fiancé Matt Ogston hosted a pink carpet film screening and reception to commemorate the anniversary at the Everyman Cinema, in Holly Bush Vale, on Thursday last week.
The event, titled An Evening to Find Acceptance, raised funds for the Naz and Matt Foundation, a charity which Mr Ogston launched in the wake of his partner’s death.
On the night, Mr Ogston screened a short film tracing his journey over the past year. A collection of images exploring Dr Mahmood’s story by photojournalist Lisa Bretherick were also on show.
You may also want to watch:
The main feature of the evening was a screening of Bollywood film The Square Circle, which challenges gender identity, gender roles and sexuality.
The Naz and Matt Foundation aims to change attitudes and increase acceptance of gay, lesbian and transgender young people born into religious families, and to offer support to individuals affected.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 3 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 4 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 5 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 6 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 7 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 8 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 9 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
- 10 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
For more information about the Naz and Matt Foundation, go to nazandmattfoundation.org