Diner charged £268,399 for meal at popular Hampstead restaurant
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A diner who went for a quick evening meal at Cote Brasserie, in Hampstead, came out with a bill for nearly £270,000
Pretima Champaneri-Phillips, who was out for dinner with son Aaron, 17, said: “I had coq au vin and he had a steak. We only drank tap water...I was in shock. The meal was good, but not that good!”
Ms Champaneri-Phillips told how she was tapping her pin into the machine on Friday evening when she noticed that the figures didn’t look right.
She said: “I was just about to press enter when I noticed there were too many numbers. I got the shock of my life to see that I had actually been charged £268,399.32.”
She alerted the waitress who cancelled the transaction and started again with the correct amount £26.83.
Ms Champaneri-Phillips, 52, who works as a financial consultant, said: “It was surreal. No manager came over to explain or apologise. It left a bad taste and I won’t be going back there!
“It’s a warning to everyone to always check their bill closely!”
- 1 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 2 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 3 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 4 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 5 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 6 Jimmy C's wife on how she is keeping 'his memory alive'
- 7 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 8 The most expensive homes sold in Camden in November 2021
- 9 'Large cannabis factory’ discovered on Frobisher Road
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
A Cote spokesman said: “We do apologise. Luckily the lady noticed so it was cancelled. Even if she had pressed enter, that amount would never have gone through.”