Diner charged £268,399 for meal at popular Hampstead restaurant
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A diner who went for a quick evening meal at Cote Brasserie, in Hampstead, came out with a bill for nearly £270,000
Pretima Champaneri-Phillips, who was out for dinner with son Aaron, 17, said: “I had coq au vin and he had a steak. We only drank tap water...I was in shock. The meal was good, but not that good!”
Ms Champaneri-Phillips told how she was tapping her pin into the machine on Friday evening when she noticed that the figures didn’t look right.
She said: “I was just about to press enter when I noticed there were too many numbers. I got the shock of my life to see that I had actually been charged £268,399.32.”
She alerted the waitress who cancelled the transaction and started again with the correct amount £26.83.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Champaneri-Phillips, 52, who works as a financial consultant, said: “It was surreal. No manager came over to explain or apologise. It left a bad taste and I won’t be going back there!
“It’s a warning to everyone to always check their bill closely!”
- 1 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 2 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 3 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 4 Taste of Nawab: A community staple with Tripadvisor acclaim
- 5 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 6 Skyscraper plans rejected by Westminster Council over damage to views
- 7 'Real harm to wildlife': Invasive crayfish in Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 8 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 9 'She means the world': Councillor's plea to bring home missing cat Evey
- 10 Early plans under way for Dartmouth Park LTN scheme
A Cote spokesman said: “We do apologise. Luckily the lady noticed so it was cancelled. Even if she had pressed enter, that amount would never have gone through.”