Diner charged £268,399 for meal at popular Hampstead restaurant
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A diner who went for a quick evening meal at Cote Brasserie, in Hampstead, came out with a bill for nearly £270,000
Pretima Champaneri-Phillips, who was out for dinner with son Aaron, 17, said: “I had coq au vin and he had a steak. We only drank tap water...I was in shock. The meal was good, but not that good!”
Ms Champaneri-Phillips told how she was tapping her pin into the machine on Friday evening when she noticed that the figures didn’t look right.
She said: “I was just about to press enter when I noticed there were too many numbers. I got the shock of my life to see that I had actually been charged £268,399.32.”
She alerted the waitress who cancelled the transaction and started again with the correct amount £26.83.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Champaneri-Phillips, 52, who works as a financial consultant, said: “It was surreal. No manager came over to explain or apologise. It left a bad taste and I won’t be going back there!
“It’s a warning to everyone to always check their bill closely!”
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 6 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 7 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 8 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 9 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 10 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
A Cote spokesman said: “We do apologise. Luckily the lady noticed so it was cancelled. Even if she had pressed enter, that amount would never have gone through.”