Decision on Childs Hill care home plans postponed for a second time
- Credit: Archant
A long-running dispute over plans to demolish a historic vicarage in Childs Hill is set to roll on after a council discussion to decide on the proposal was postponed for a second time.
An application to demolish Church Walk House, an elderly care home in Church Walk, Childs Hill, and replace it with a three-storey home was due to be considered by Barnet Council’s west area planning sub-committee last Thursday.
But following a last-minute representation from residents opposed to the plans, the council cancelled discussing the application at the meeting in order to consider technical concerns raised.
Developer Central and Cecil Housing Trust (CCHT) originally applied last June to flatten Church Walk House, including a Victorian vicarage on the site, which residents insist should be protected for its historical importance.
But after the council’s planning team deferred making a decision on the application in September due to residents’ concerns, CCHT submitted a new application due to be considered at last week’s meeting.
You may also want to watch:
The application will now be heard at a future meeting on a date to be fixed.
A 100-strong group of residents in Prospect Road and Lyndale Avenue set up the Save Church Walk campaign to oppose the plans. They believe the proposed building would destroy the neighbourhood’s “rural” feel.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 3 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 6 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 9 Ken Clarke's Infected Blood Inquiry words were 'offensive' – campaigners
- 10 Letter on shopping for one!