Death of a television legend
MARYLEBONE actress Wendy Richard today lost her battle with cancer at the age of 65. The former EastEnders star died with her husband John Burns by her side at the Harley Street Clinic, in Marylebone, according to her agent Kevin Francis. The actress, who
MARYLEBONE actress Wendy Richard today lost her battle with cancer at the age of 65.
The former EastEnders star died with her husband John Burns by her side at the Harley Street Clinic, in Marylebone, according to her agent Kevin Francis.
The actress, who played Pauline Fowler in the BBC One soap opera for 21 years, revealed she had an aggressive form of cancer shortly before marrying her long-term partner in October.
In an interview at the time, she revealed she had already planned her funeral and written her will.
Shane Richie, who played EastEnders character Alfie Moon, told The Sun newspaper that he was "devastated" by the news. "My heart goes out to John, Wendy's husband and her family," he said.
Ms Richard, who played Pauline Fowler in EastEnders between 1985 and 2006, was awarded the MBE services to television in 2000. In 1997, she was also awarded a British Soap Award for Lifetime Achievement for her role in EastEnders.
- 1 Heath patrols to increase after fisherman robbed at knifepoint
- 2 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 3 Family pay tribute to schoolgirl at West Hampstead bridge restoration
- 4 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 5 Academy to crack down on 'boisterous' behaviour after inspection
- 6 'Buying maternity clothes seemed so wasteful': Former fashion editor's mission
- 7 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 8 New Wendy's opens its doors in Camden
- 9 Camden Council settles £130m Chalcots lawsuit for £19m
- 10 Kentish Town woman wins international cookbook award
Other famous roles included Miss Brahms in Are You Being Served and Grace & Favour and parts in Dad's Army and The Likely Lads.
She most recently appeared in ITV's Miss Marple: A Pocket Full of Rye as the character Mrs Crump last year.