Daredevils in hot water after surfing Hampstead Heath pond without permission
- Credit: Archant
It’s not exactly Bondi Beach, but that didn’t stop three daredevils attempting to surf one of Hampstead Heath’s placid ponds.
Using a board attached by cable to a motor on the bank, and wearing a full wet-suit, one of the men skimmed at speed across the Hampstead No. 2 pond in a matter of seconds on Monday. But the fun was short-lived when the Heath’s police force was called.
Motorised surfing is an infringement of Heath by-law 13, which forbids the driving or riding of any “horse, beast, bicycle, tricycle or vehicle propelled by animal or mechanical power” without prior approval.
Photographer Ron Vester, who witnessed the scene, was fearful the pond’s wildlife, including three Egyptian geese, would be harmed.
He said: “He was being dragged at terrific speed over the water. It was so risky. I thought if a dog ran in it would get killed.
You may also want to watch:
“You can’t allow that. You’d end up with all kinds of stuff going on in there – next it would be jet skis.”
The three men, who filmed their endeavours, were allowed to leave without being arrested.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 3 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 4 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 5 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 6 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 7 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 8 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
- 9 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 10 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'