D-day approaches for controversial plans to build on Mansfield Bowling Club
- Credit: Archant
Plans to build a new sports facility and eight new homes on a bowling green in Dartmouth Park are set to be debated by councillors tonight.
The owners of Mansfield Bowling Club in Croftdown Road submitted an application to Camden Council to demolish its outdoor bowling rink and develop the site, which is designated private open space.
In May planning officers at the local authority recommended the proposals be rejected, citing concerns over building on private open space and a lack of affordable housing.
Around 190 letters of objection have been received by Camden Council, while a number of local community groups, including the Mansfield Neighbours Group and the Highgate Society, have formally opposed the development.
Highgate councillors Maya De Souza and Sally Gimson have also submitted formal objections.
You may also want to watch:
The club wants build a leisure centre, a new indoor bowling club and eight three-storey houses. It has appointed leisure group Fusion Lifestyle to run the proposed new leisure centre, which would offer exercise classes and four indoor bowling lanes.
More than 200 letters in support of the application have been sent to the council and disability group Action for Blind People is backing the application.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Arsenal boss Arteta faces injury crisis decisions
- 4 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 5 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 6 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 7 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 8 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
The proposals will be discussed by members of the development control committee at 7pm in the Town Tall in Judd Street, King’s Cross.