Cycling campaigner's push for traffic-free Whitestone Pond
Your article (Money floods in to revamp pond, H&H September 25) has the subtitle Hopes for Whitestone to be 2012 cycling venue . Interestingly, the proposal that went out for consultation never mentioned cycling. Surely we all agree that the major benef
Your article (Money floods in to revamp pond, H&H September 25) has the subtitle 'Hopes for Whitestone to be 2012 cycling venue'.
Interestingly, the proposal that went out for consultation never mentioned cycling. Surely we all agree that the major beneficiaries of the proposal should not be the Olympic cyclists (however much we admire them) but the pedestrians and ordinary cyclists who are going to be passing the area before and after 2012.
Therefore the Camden Cycling Campaign has responded positively to the general proposal of 'revamping' the pond but we have asked that Whitestone Walk should be free of motorised traffic, that the signalised junctions should have advanced stop lines (green boxes) for cyclists, that speed reduction measures should be introduced at the roundabout; and if the planners want to be more adventurous, there is a great opportunity to link up with the new cycle lane on Spaniard Road.
If £500,000 is going to be spent let's get maximum benefit.
You may also want to watch:
Camden Cycling Campaign
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 3 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 4 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 5 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 7 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 8 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
- 9 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 10 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
Belsize Avenue, NW3