Cudicini is favourite to face Arsenal in White Hart Lane derby
CARLO Cudicini has not joined Tottenham to make up the goalkeeping numbers, he has told Ham&high sports editor Pat Mooney. The 35-year-old Italian, who ended a 10-year association with Chelsea when he moved to Spurs on a free transfer last week, is eager
CARLO Cudicini has not joined Tottenham to make up the goalkeeping numbers, he has told Ham&high sports editor Pat Mooney.
The 35-year-old Italian, who ended a 10-year association with Chelsea when he moved to Spurs on a free transfer last week, is eager to wrestle the No.1 shirt from Heurelho Gomes.
And Cudicini, forced to play second fiddle to Petr Cech at Stamford Bridge for the past five seasons, has seized his chance to impress Harry Redknapp with two solid displays against Stoke and Bolton in the absence of the injured Gomes.
With the Brazilian still struggling with a groin injury and Redknapp reluctant to plunge young Ben Alnwick back into the spotlight, Cudicini has every chance of starting Sunday's north London against Arsenal at the Lane.
You may also want to watch:
"We have three very good goalkeepers and we will battle it out every morning at training," Cudicini told Ham&High Sport. "Gomes is a great goalkeeper and we are enjoying training together. It will be a fair competition and it is good for the team.
SEE THIS WEEK'S HAM&HIGH FOR FULL INTERVIEW
- 1 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 2 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 3 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 4 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 5 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 8 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 9 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 10 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill