Cudicini is favourite to face Arsenal in White Hart Lane derby
CARLO Cudicini has not joined Tottenham to make up the goalkeeping numbers, he has told Ham&high sports editor Pat Mooney. The 35-year-old Italian, who ended a 10-year association with Chelsea when he moved to Spurs on a free transfer last week, is eager
CARLO Cudicini has not joined Tottenham to make up the goalkeeping numbers, he has told Ham&high sports editor Pat Mooney.
The 35-year-old Italian, who ended a 10-year association with Chelsea when he moved to Spurs on a free transfer last week, is eager to wrestle the No.1 shirt from Heurelho Gomes.
And Cudicini, forced to play second fiddle to Petr Cech at Stamford Bridge for the past five seasons, has seized his chance to impress Harry Redknapp with two solid displays against Stoke and Bolton in the absence of the injured Gomes.
With the Brazilian still struggling with a groin injury and Redknapp reluctant to plunge young Ben Alnwick back into the spotlight, Cudicini has every chance of starting Sunday's north London against Arsenal at the Lane.
You may also want to watch:
"We have three very good goalkeepers and we will battle it out every morning at training," Cudicini told Ham&High Sport. "Gomes is a great goalkeeper and we are enjoying training together. It will be a fair competition and it is good for the team.
SEE THIS WEEK'S HAM&HIGH FOR FULL INTERVIEW
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 3 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 4 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 5 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 6 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 7 Ozil set for Arsenal exit
- 8 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 9 More goals, less mistakes needed says Spurs boss Mourinho
- 10 Letters: Local business, vaccination, Abacus and The Ponds