‘Where the hell did they get that rock?’ Crouch End restaurant stunned by ‘meteorite’-enabled burglary
- Credit: Archant
Rock cakes, anyone? A Crouch End restauranteur had a nasty surprise on Sunday morning when the police rang to tell him thieves had lobbed a “football-sized” boulder through his front window.
The thieves used the correspondingly large hole in the glass door to break-in before making off with a pair of iPads and cash from the till at Irvin's Brasserie on Topsfield Lane.
The Scottish Italian restaurant was unable to open on Sunday while the damage was assessed, but owner Stephen Irvin saw the funny side - placing the rock used on the front table of the restaurant and announcing that a "meteorite" had landed in the shop.
Stephen told this newspaper: "It was the size of a large football or medicine ball. Irritating but yes, it was quite funny, so we put something online.
"Where the hell did they get that rock? And how on earth did they get it up the hill? Which burglars are carrying something like that?
You may also want to watch:
"We've obviously lost a fair bit, the takings from Saturday, £400 to replace the door, it all adds up. The burglary saw police called to the restaurant at 5.10am on Sunday.
The restaurant has been open as usual since Tuesday.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 6 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 7 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 8 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 9 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actor dies aged 52
- 10 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
Earlier in the week Stephen posted an image of the rock on social media with the caption: "Meteorite crashes thru Crouch End restaurant window."
Speaking to the Ham&High, he added that he had been surprised the burglars had not taken more from the restaurant, although he had certainly been left "stony-faced" by the loss of the tablets and cash.
This is the second burglary of a Topsfield Lane restaurant in recent months. In May, Aix - a few doors down - saw fresh produce stolen shortly after it was delivered in a less dramatic, if bizarre, larceny.
A Haringey police spokesperson said the incident was "not unusual" and that the investigation remained open.