Crouch End mums who survived breast cancer together set up bra-fitting business
- Credit: Archant
Two Crouch End mums who survived breast cancer while becoming friends have launched a bra-fitting service to support post-mastectomy women.
Kate Courtman, 37 and Sarah Mountford, 39, were both diagnosed with breast cancer within weeks of each other in 2018.
After being introduced by a mutual friend they realised they lived only roads apart - Kate in Linzee Road and Sarah in Boyton Close.
They became friends and supported each other through their treatments as Sarah underwent a single mastectomy and Kate a double mastectomy.
Following their surgeries they regularly discussed their troubles finding guidance for bras post-surgery, when women may be feeling vulnerable.
You may also want to watch:
This inspired them to train to become fitters themselves and to set up The Bra Sisters, a specialist bra-fitting consultancy launched as part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month (October).
Kate said: “I tried a department store service but the fitters were petrified by the prospect of a post-treatment breast cancer patient.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 6 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 7 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 8 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 9 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 10 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
“I left with one bra that even my grandmother would have been embarrassed to wear.”
The Crouch End pals are setting out to support women post-mastectomy and transform bra-fitting.
Sarah said: “Our aim is to find and fit fashion-forward, contemporary lingerie and swimwear for women of all ages so they feel confident about their bodies.
“We want our bra-fitting service to be an enjoyable experience for women so they go away feeling positive about their body and their future.
“That’s our mission – to get the message out there and empower women post-treatment and surgery.”
Kate and Sarah were treated at The London Clinic in Marylebone and are now finalising details on a partnership with the private hospital.
The friends aim to show that clients can have a comfortable and personalised experience as in a lingerie boutique for women who have not suffered from breast cancer.
Sarah said: “It’s about reclaiming the femininity that you’ve partly lost through having such serious surgery - making women feel like they’re women, not like a patient.”
For more information on The Bra Sisters click here.