Crouch End mums who survived breast cancer together set up bra-fitting business
- Credit: Archant
Two Crouch End mums who survived breast cancer while becoming friends have launched a bra-fitting service to support post-mastectomy women.
Kate Courtman, 37 and Sarah Mountford, 39, were both diagnosed with breast cancer within weeks of each other in 2018.
After being introduced by a mutual friend they realised they lived only roads apart - Kate in Linzee Road and Sarah in Boyton Close.
They became friends and supported each other through their treatments as Sarah underwent a single mastectomy and Kate a double mastectomy.
Following their surgeries they regularly discussed their troubles finding guidance for bras post-surgery, when women may be feeling vulnerable.
You may also want to watch:
This inspired them to train to become fitters themselves and to set up The Bra Sisters, a specialist bra-fitting consultancy launched as part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month (October).
Kate said: “I tried a department store service but the fitters were petrified by the prospect of a post-treatment breast cancer patient.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 4 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 7 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 8 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 9 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 10 Future of Royal Free Hospital nurseries uncertain amid staff consultation
“I left with one bra that even my grandmother would have been embarrassed to wear.”
The Crouch End pals are setting out to support women post-mastectomy and transform bra-fitting.
Sarah said: “Our aim is to find and fit fashion-forward, contemporary lingerie and swimwear for women of all ages so they feel confident about their bodies.
“We want our bra-fitting service to be an enjoyable experience for women so they go away feeling positive about their body and their future.
“That’s our mission – to get the message out there and empower women post-treatment and surgery.”
Kate and Sarah were treated at The London Clinic in Marylebone and are now finalising details on a partnership with the private hospital.
The friends aim to show that clients can have a comfortable and personalised experience as in a lingerie boutique for women who have not suffered from breast cancer.
Sarah said: “It’s about reclaiming the femininity that you’ve partly lost through having such serious surgery - making women feel like they’re women, not like a patient.”
For more information on The Bra Sisters click here.