Crossrail traffic diversions causing nuisance for neighbours
Neighbours say their once peaceful road has been plagued by noise and pollution since Crossrail building work saw traffic diverted.
Traffic from Eastbourne Terrace, including seven bus routes, has been diverted along Westbourne Terrace so building work on the new railway line can be carried out.
Eastbourne Terrace has been closed since February.
Residents say their quality of life has been affected by pollution and noise, and they say several accidents have occurred as a result of increased traffic.
Louis Al-Dhahir, chairman of a residents’ association in Westbourne Terrace, said: “Because of the layout of Westbourne Terrace, we get this canyon effect where all the pollution from the buses gets trapped.
You may also want to watch:
“There are temporary lights at the bottom, so they have to sit waiting for ages, pumping out fumes.
“The vibrations from the traffic makes the windows rattle in their panes and I’ve seen at least two ambulances attending to people injured by traffic.”
- 1 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 2 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 3 British fencing great Richard Kruse announces retirement
- 4 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 5 Hampstead bakery sells challah hearts for Mental Health Awareness Week
- 6 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 7 New Indian restaurant Ritu to replace Yasmeen Kitchen in St John's Wood
- 8 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 9 Camden shouldn't ignore residents, but we need low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 10 Blind swimmer behind legal challenge fights 'exclusion' of disabled
A Crossrail spokeswoman said they are aware of the concerns and stressed that closing Eastbourne Terrace halved construction time from four to two years.
She added: “The new taxi rank at Paddington Station, constructed by Crossrail, has also reduced the number of taxis along Westbourne Terrace.
“Crossrail holds regular meetings with Paddington community representatives to hear their concerns and keep them updated on Crossrail works.”