Yobs attack new Highgate councillor on election night
Newly elected Labour councillor Sally Gimson was attacked by yobs who showered her with glass bottles as she was canvassing on election night.
She was talking to two pensioners in Highgate Road, by the junction with Gordon House Road, yesterday evening (Thursday, September 15) when she and party colleagues were pelted by a group of young men.
Mrs Gimson, who won the hotly contested Highgate seat on Camden Council, said: “We had bottles thrown at us by a group of guys as we were out campaigning.
“There were about five or six of them and they looked like they were in their late teens. They started throwing things at us and there was smashed glass.
“In some ways it was a minor incident that was frightening for a few seconds and then the group ran off. But we were with an elderly couple and it was really scary.”
You may also want to watch:
Police said a report of anti-social behaviour outside Lissenden Gardens was made to Highgate Safer Neighbourhoods Team.
A spokeswoman said: “Anti social behaviour is one of the team’s ward priorities and they are working hard to reduce it.”
- 1 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 2 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 3 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 4 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 5 'Huge relief': Golders Green care home celebrates booster rollout
- 6 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 7 Punk Blythe doll worth almost £1,000 visits Camden Town
- 8 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft