Yobs attack new Highgate councillor on election night
Newly elected Labour councillor Sally Gimson was attacked by yobs who showered her with glass bottles as she was canvassing on election night.
She was talking to two pensioners in Highgate Road, by the junction with Gordon House Road, yesterday evening (Thursday, September 15) when she and party colleagues were pelted by a group of young men.
Mrs Gimson, who won the hotly contested Highgate seat on Camden Council, said: “We had bottles thrown at us by a group of guys as we were out campaigning.
“There were about five or six of them and they looked like they were in their late teens. They started throwing things at us and there was smashed glass.
“In some ways it was a minor incident that was frightening for a few seconds and then the group ran off. But we were with an elderly couple and it was really scary.”
You may also want to watch:
Police said a report of anti-social behaviour outside Lissenden Gardens was made to Highgate Safer Neighbourhoods Team.
A spokeswoman said: “Anti social behaviour is one of the team’s ward priorities and they are working hard to reduce it.”
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 9 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre